Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: File Download...

Default Usb

Cheers!
    Fantastic application.
    Can it be run from a USB memory stick?

p.s. was about to buy WinTasks 5 Professional
    https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-...gi?item=7042-2
    but think you've come up with a superior product!
    Keep up the great work!

Default Cosmetic Improvements...

Well, I just downloaded the available version of RunAlyser. Great. Works fine. I'll try it tonight on my mother-in-law problematic PC... I'd like to make some cosmetic suggestions :
    1) the flag for the English language has nothing to do with the union jack ??
    2) the "help, about" doesn't indicate the version, only a copyright 2005
    3) how to expand all items in one click ?

Less cosmetic : when I closed the RunAlyser, it displayed : "patience, RunAlyser is closing..." but never closed (I've no more details).

Do you want a French translator ?

@mea10: sure it can! It was even designed in the first place to run from a CD (a bootable Windows CD) .

@Randaph: There'll be a new version shortly, in fact it was planed for the weekend, but is delayed since another AV product has a false positive about the installer :(

1. The English flag is neither UK/GB nor US, since whichever I would choose, the other side would complain. Therefore I took the geographical source of the language, which is the country England (without Wales, Scottland, etc.).

2. Indeed 0.6 (the new one to be uploaded as soon as the FP is solved) will at least have it in its file version dialog (right-click in Explorer, choose Properties, then Version tab). An info page with the version number, size of database & cache, credits etc. will be added of course

3. Thanks a lot for your offer - but 0.6 will already come with a full translation

4. This should happen only if you close very early... there are a lot of entries analyzed... but this should stop at an earlier opportunity than right now, I agree!
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

The file download link has now been updated to version 0.6

Esteemed Member

I downloaded v. 0.6. Uninstalled previous version, installed this one. Runs OK, but I'm a little puzzled by some of the entries.

Under advanced startups, it shows several registry entries, but when I go to the registry the key does not exist.

Example:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19_Classes\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command\

clicking the + next to that entry, under that there is a blank entry (i.e. a little square with a green tick in it but nothing else

There is no key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19_Classes\SOFTWARE\Classes or any subkeys.

Several similar ghost entries appear, I haven't looked them all up. I think these entries also appear in my SBDS log, which I attach as a zipped .txt file.

Please explain

Default runalyzer

I use xp home

Runalyzer only opens minimized to toolbar and it will not restore to full size

@Rosenfeld: as I just wrote in another topic about empty values, RunAlyzer does now show those even if they do not exist, to allow the user to make changes there from within RunAlyzer.

I agree though that just showing them as empty is a bit confusing (we made a poll about this topic, but no one had the idea that it was confusing - typical case if having to see it in real action first :D ), maybe we should grey them out somehwat?

@topmoxie: it may take a short while, but usually it should appear after a few seconds. There are very few cases where it takes minutes - we're still looking for the reason - probably an Antivirus application slowing down the building of checksums of all files (there are some AVs that really slow you down, like Symantecs).

Esteemed Member

Thanks for the explanation, from which I gather that these are registry keys that may be present for some systems but not necessarily for all, hence most likely I don't need to worry that they are missing in my registry (the PC works fine in any case).
    Certainly I think it would be helpful if there was some indication that their absence is no cause for panic. :-).

You say that they are there so that one might make changes from within Runalyzer, but I for one would generally have little idea of when or why I should create a previously non existant key just because it shows up in Runalyzer, nor what value(s) to place in it.

So maybe Runalyzer should only show the keys that are present, plus any that it expects to find but are missing, that are deemed to be essential (if that can be defined more or less unambiguously).

As for keys that are present but otherwise empty, I'm not too concerned with those, if they are OS related I leave them alone (agree with your comment in the other thread).

Another help may be the "More information" tab at the bottom... we still need to fill the database with enough descriptions, but if you want to take a peek at what should be in there, but the file attached to this topic into the RunAlyzer folder

As for showing/not showing them - I've planed this as an option that can be easily toggled (there's still no GUI button etc. in there to use this option :D ).

Esteemed Member

Thanks, I looked at the more information for several entries in the advanced startups and it certainly is useful. For example it explains the missing keys in my registry referring to screensaver, deleted because I have set that to none.

I note that most of the notes refer explicitly to Windows 2000. I assume that the info would generally also be applicable to XP (which is what I have), or is that not so?

This is becoming a really good app and educative :-)