Thread: Allhives

Default Allhives

I have tried to follow the instructions to scan more than one partition: To scan your system including installations on other partitions, right-click the link/icon you use to start Spybot-S&D, and add /allhives to the command line (separated by a space from the rest). If you now start Spybot-S&D through this link, it will automatically detect other installations, and scan theirs registries and files as well...

It won't get me there, can someone please give me some direction on how to do this? Thanks!

Question

Royedw,

Are you talking about a "dual boot" situation where you have two operating systems on individual partitions and when one operating system is in use and its partition is active, the other operating system & its individual registry are on an inactive or hidden partition.

If so can you provide some more information about your system. What format are the two partitions, NTFS or FAT32, and what operating system is on each partition. What version of Spybot are you using.

If you do not have the above situation, can you explain what you have and what you want Spybot to do exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Royedw,

Are you talking about a "dual boot" situation where you have two operating systems on individual partitions and when one operating system is in use and its partition is active, the other operating system & its individual registry are on an inactive or hidden partition.

If so can you provide some more information about your system. What format are the two partitions, NTFS or FAT32, and what operating system is on each partition. What version of Spybot are you using.

If you do not have the above situation, can you explain what you have and what you want Spybot to do exactly.
    Well, It's not a Dual boot since I can't get one installation of XP to boot up. I tried using my OS disk to repair and instead it loaded the OS on a separate partition. I'm now wondering if Spybot, latest version, 1.5 would correct what might be wrong so I can recover the documents in that partition. This is really a last ditch effort to see if those files are recoverable. I can see many of them in explorer, some I cannot get to open however. Does that help?? Thanks!

Royedw

Spybot's function is to detect and removes spyware, not to repair operating system problems of the kind you appear to have.

I'm not sure what to advise at this stage. From what you are saying it appears that the original XP system on drive C: had some sort of fairly serious problem, and in an attempt to fix that, you now have another XP system incorrectly installed on a second partition. Without a proper dual boot installation, you will not be able to selectively boot to a specific system and it's not clear which partition you are currently booting to.

Given that the original system problem was serious enough that you attempted a reinstall, and the new system isn't right either, my approach would be to try to salvage, backup or copy what ever data files you can from the PC, and then reformat and reinstall the operating system properly on drive C:, then reformat the other data partition, however as a complete "start again" would normally be considered a last resort option, it would be worth seeking other opinions.

Perhaps some one else has a better solution.