Thread: Cannot install Spybot 1.5.2

Default Cannot install Spybot 1.5.2

I am running Windows 98 with dial-up. Three time today I have tried to install Spybot 1.5.2 and each time when I try to open and finish installing, I get an error notice saying "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program".

When I click on "properties" it opens to the "general" tab of spybotsd152. I then clicked on the "version" tab and am able to see:

File version: 1.5.2

Description: Spybot - Search & Destroy

Comments: This installation was built with Inno Setup

Company name: Safer Networking Limited

I should add that each of the three downloads came from different sites, so it does not seem to make much sense to try a fourth download site. Any ideas what is going on and how I may complete installation?

Thanks,

Anovice (and really one!)

Hello and welcome to Spybot-SD forums.

To answer your question, when a file is "corrupted"... it somewhat means like the download is incomplete. It occurred to me in the past when I attempted to download large files on dial-up.

Please download a fresh copy for Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 from Spybot's site:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Download all the updates, immunize.

Edit: Oh also... I was curious after re-reading your post... What were those sites you mentioned?
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-05-14 at 23:26.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Anovice:

The size of the spybotsd152.exe installation program is 9,722,720 Bytes.

Did you download from one of the sites listed here?

To make sure there wasn't a transmission problem, check the MD5 hash of the downloaded spybotsd152.exe installation program as well as the size. Is the MD5 hash value equal to the following?
    • CC91B89CE4EBA400BAED4F626487D579

To check the MD5 hash value you can use one of these programs (note: The download for MD5 Checker 2.31 is only 23892 bytes, so if you are having problems downloading that may be the best option):

Also note that there is a another MD5 Checker recommended by PepiMK in post #3 of the following thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Excuse me, md, I would like to know what a "MD5 hash" is.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

drragostea:

A hash function is any well-defined procedure or mathematical function for turning some kind of data into a relatively small integer, ...

In cryptography, MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5) is a widely used, partially insecure[1] cryptographic hash function with a 128-bit hash value. As an Internet standard (RFC 1321), MD5 has been employed in a wide variety of security applications, and is also commonly used to check the integrity of files.

MD5 hash – A file is read 512-bits at a time and an algorithm is used to create a 128-bit hash value (typically expressed as a 32-character string of hexadecimal numbers) that represents the data in that file. Although collisions (two files with the same MD5 hash value) can occur, the probability is extremely small. Therefore checking the MD5 hash value of a file received with the MD5 hash value of the original file is a good way to ensure that the transmitted file was received properly.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I would like to thank both of you for your help.

As it turns out, it was a transmission problem when I used Mozilla browser to download. I am using an old version which may have been the problem and regardless of the number of sites on the link you supplied I tried, the result was the same.

It took about 25 minutes for 4.6 of the 9.5MB to download at 5.4KB/sec. At about that point it indicated 15 minutes remaining and downloading suddenly stopped. Then it indicated that the downloading was complete, but of course it was not.

My first try on IE (which I REALLY did not want to use, especially without Spybot) was a success!

Thanks much,

Anovice