Thread: Download Failure - Server could not be resolved

Default Download Failure - Server could not be resolved

Attempting to download Spybotsd152. Everything goes well until it attempts to download additional files at which time an error message pops up "Server name or address could not be resolved" at this time the install stops. I am unfortunately a Vista user and hope that a recent Vista update has not messed things up.

Suggestions please?

Nevermind - I just saw the thread on Download failures and found a fix.

Question Download Failure - Installing while in Safe Mode

I too get this exact error. I am trying to fix a computer for a friend (Alas, I have lost my tshirt that says "NO, I will NOT fix your computer...) LOL

At any rate, I haven't been able to keep the machine running long enough to do anything unless I take it down to Safe Mode. So, here I am trying to install Spybot without a net connection.

I have downloaded the latest spybot install as well as the file that has the updates from another computer and then copied the files over to the crippled computer. However, after I accept the terms Agreement, it looks for your server and chokes...says, "Error sending request. The server name or address could not be resolved."

Any advice or a link to the solution within the forums would be greatly appreciated. BTW - I love your product.

PS - I still take a drink every time I hear "Spbot Search and Destroy" spoken on the radio....LOL

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

WiredRides:

The solution the problem is to skip trying to updating during the installation and update after the installation. To do that, when you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately". There is an attachment that shows you this in post #5 of this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.