Thread: Bad URL Blocker

Default Bad URL Blocker

Hi all. I'm not to this point yet, but maybe close.

Something I denied within the last couple of hours has stopped me from getting to some of my highly used sites.
    I have 7 items listed in 'Resident.log' based on my decisions since April this year (I guess this was about the time I updated and I started getting these 'allow/deny' pop-ups?), I'd like to back out my decision on one at a time and see which is causing my problem, but for the life of me, can't find where to do this.

I've looked at the 'black and white list', nothing shows in there, as well as in 'configuration', it shows 1 'blacklisted' site, but no detail again.

I looked thru the other threads and didn't find anything that pertained to this... any help would greatly be appreciated.

*XP Home SP2, IE7, AVG Free and Spybot
    Last edited by zoomsss; 2008-05-17 at 06:15.

Have you looked under Tools in your browser drop down menu for the Spybot Configuration settings?

Yep, this is what is shows

Wouldn't it help to choose "Display dialog when blocking" so you can then allow or deny the sites you are trying to get back to?

Or what about checking restricted sites under Tools\Internet Options\Security?

Quote Originally Posted by ChalupaPatrol View Post
    Wouldn't it help to choose "Display dialog when blocking" so you can then allow or deny the sites you are trying to get back to?
    Would that help with current items denied or only ones done in future?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

zoomsss:

It appears that you have several misconceptions.

Firstly the log for Spybot's SDHelper BHO is the SDHelper.log not the Resident.log. The Resident.log is the log for TeaTimer and records TeaTimer's activity.

The "Statistics" in the "Setting" tab have nothing to do with the rules in the "Allowed & Denied" tab. The "Statistics" in the "Setting" tab record the activity (Blocked and Allowed by category) while in "Display dialog when blocking" or "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode. The rules in the "Allowed & Denied" tab are created when you are in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode and use the "Always react this way" option when responding to a blocking dialog.

ChalupaPatrol:

Quote Originally Posted by ChalupaPatrol View Post
    You must be in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode to "Allow" or "Deny" access. When you are in "Display dialog when blocking" mode the only option is to "Deny" access because the "Allow" button is greyed out (not an option).
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-05-17 at 12:43.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The "Statistics" in the "Setting" tab have nothing to do with the rules in the "Allowed & Denied" tab. The "Statistics" in the "Setting" tab record the activity (Blocked and Allowed by category) while in "Display dialog when blocking" or "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode. The rules in the "Allowed & Denied" tab are created when you are in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode and use the "Always react this way" option when responding to a blocking dialog.
    Waaaaaay too complex for me!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ChalupaPatrol:

I'll try again:

To see what was actally blocked you can look in the SDHelper.log. The "Allowed & Denied" tab does not show allow or denied activity, that is in the SDHelper.log.

The "Allowed & Denied" tab shows rules created when you use the "Always react this way" option while in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Okay. Thank you.