Thread: Many problems with 1.4 want 1.3 back

Default Many problems with 1.4 want 1.3 back

How can I get S&D 1.3 only back?
    I have too many problems and lock ups going on from downloading 1.4 to post here! I do not see 1.3 on Web Site.

I have donated $$
    California USA

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Unless you are running Windows 95, it would be better for everyone if you did explain the problems you are having so that they can be identified and corrected. Otherwise you may be left out in the cold if a new release is published that is not downward compatible with Spybot 1.3 and doesn’t fix the problems you are having.

In the mean time the following thread should give the information you requested:

After installing Spybot 1.3, if you get the following error during a scan:
    • Error during check!: --- various names --- (Datei C:\WINDOWS\wininit.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because
      it is being used by another process) ()

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Had no problems with 1.3 at all. Have so many after updating to 1.4 haven't the room or time here to explain them all

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I caught your other post:

In this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 180pilot
    Had no problems with 1.3 at all. Have so many after updating to 1.4 haven't the room or time here to explain them all
    I took the "... time … to explain ..." how you could reinstall Spybot 1.3 and I just though that you might be willing to return the favor. Sorry I asked!

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thank you, everything back in harmony with 1.3 version

I suppose I'm one of those Grandpas mentioned as not capable of doing the a third party patch download and not wanting it mucking around in my registry to fix a 4 month old Spybot problem.

With 1.3 back up and operating without any teatimer malfunction or other incidents.....I thank you for the download address. It would be nice if Spybot left that download on their site???????

For now, I'll leave 1.4 for you younger test pilots.........

Grandpa out

Default Here are 483 other negative reviews of 1.4

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...?pn=1&sb=3&v=0

they have more time to type then I, but, blue death screen IE lock ups and
    the hard uninstall were pouring the lead into me also..

Keep your speed up on final

Esteemed Member

180pilot: If you're having severe problems when Spybot 1.4 is installed you likely have some malware on that PC. The only real problems with Spybot 1.4 itself are the TeaTimer display issue and some problems with Immunize. Otherwise, it generally operates fine except on a few Windows XP systems with HyperThreading and Windows 95 as already mentioned.

The reason for this is that Spybot 1.4 added thousands of detections and the ability to scan Services for detections, which 1.3 didn't do. If you already have certain malware on your PC, it will attempt to block Spybot's scans resulting in apparent flakey operation. In this case, removing 1.4 and installing 1.3 simply ignores the issue.

At this point, Spybot 1.3 is fundamentally worthless on a Windows 2000 or XP system, since much of the current malware won't be detected. So you'd be best to try and determine what the problem with Spybot 1.4 is on your PC if it isn't one of the known issues above.

Default I can only deal in the facts here.

Once again,

I'm running Win 98se not XP.

I ran 1.4 it did not detect anything.

Ad-Adware se does not detect anything more then normal.

Norton 2005 update twice a week does not detect anything.

Registry Mechanic does not detect anything.

After uninstalling 1.4 and re-installing 1.3 all IE lock ups stopped.

I read on CNET. 483 other users having problems with 1.4 on different OS's

I do not trouble shoot computer programs..I just use them.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,to me it's a duck!!!

Can I please go out and play now?

Quote Originally Posted by 180pilot
    Can I please go out and play now?
    Sure.

However, if you would like to post a log so that someone can take a look at the system:

Please go here and follow instructions on how to post a HJT log.
    Before you post a log, and who will advise you.

Start a topic here:
    Malware Forum

June 30, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.
    <snip>

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=425
    Which is one reason a system check up would be a good idea.
    Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Tashi, HJT posted

My new XP computer $$$ went for doctor bills, already this year. And well, Vista is just around the corner, just around the corner, just around the corner................ I've posted my HJT snap shot in Malware Removal under "Problems running Spybot 1.4" now on page 2.

System still stable and full function after removing 1.4 an 1.3 install two days of heavy internet surfing.

Thank you for suggestions.
    Last edited by 180pilot; 2006-03-07 at 03:53.