Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm confussed!

Esteemed Member

If you're located in the upper Midwest it's possible you're being affected by a major Internet outage caused by a fiber optic cable cut by construction equipment Wednesday in Illinois. This has caused a ripple effect as they've attempted to re-route traffic around the cut, so it's even affecting customers of other ISPs that didn't completely loose service.

Even if this isn't your specific issue, this kind of dropout can occur between you and another segment of the Internet at any time, so often it's not the server that's down, but rather something between you and the server.

The Internet as a whole is fairly resilient, but not nearly as infallible as you might have been led to believe.

Bitman
    Last edited by bitman; 2008-05-22 at 07:25. Reason: Wrong day.

I'm in Los Angeles, and I still can't bring up the homepage this morning. I e-mailed a friend in another part of the city with a different isp, and he is not having a problem with it. I was able to update via the other url, so Spybot is working for me. I'll try the home page again later.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jleites:

Currently www.safer-networking.org = IP Address 89.238.64.39. Try typing the following into your browser address bar and see what happens:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

No, doesn't work. I am able to get in using two of my neighbor's wireless connections. I'm going to send an e-mail to my ISP guy and see what he says.
    Last edited by jleites; 2008-05-22 at 21:00.

I haven't heard back from the ISP, but it's working now. I can open the web site, and I can get the updates through the Spybot application. Everything is normal again :-)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jleites:

I'm glad all is well!!!

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.