Thread: Unable to Install Spybot SD

Default Unable to Install Spybot SD

Had a version of Spybot SD on PC working fine (Win XP Home) decided to upgrade to newest version of Spybot SD. Uninstalled original Spybot. Downloaded new version, went to install got as far as File Download. Then Getting file information. Then Resolving safer networking. Then a box pops up with "The server name or address could not be resolved". End of installation. What please have I done wrong.
    Cheers.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jandap:

A solution to this problem that has worked in the past is to skip doing updates during the installation and update after the installation.

Please read my suggestion in post #5 of this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Unable to install spybot sd

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    jandap:

A solution to this problem that has worked in the past is to skip doing updates during the installation and update after the installation.

Please read my suggestion in post #5 of this thread:
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion worked but I ask why an instruction to skip updates is not included in download instructions?
    Thanks again
    Jandap

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jandap:

Quote Originally Posted by jandap View Post
    ... but I ask why an instruction to skip updates is not included in download instructions?
    The problem appears to only affect users of certain firewalls (ZoneAlarm appears to be one of them) that apparently block the particular type of access used during the installation without notification.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile Unable to install spybot sd

MD USA
    Thank you kindly for your informed reply, all is now well and peace of mind has been restored.
    Cheers.
    Jandap