Thread: Scan starts immediatly on startup!

Question Scan starts immediatly on startup!

I have used spybot before, but just recently updated. (I do have the advanced version where I can go into the "settings" feature.)
    As soon as I turn my computer on and log onto my page, spybot starts a scan before it even lets the icons load. I have tried disabling this feature in settings, and I have all of the automated scan boxes unchecked.
    However it still scans automatically on startup. I have to stop the scan and then close spybot before it will load my icons and taskbar. I would rather have it set so I can scan when I want to.
    I have checked everything in my settings and can not see where I have it set to do this at startup.
    Can someone please tell me how to disable this feature? Am I missing something? I have thought of totally removing the program and reinstalling it, but am hoping there is an easier solution first. Any help would be much appreciated....thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lynnie64:

The problem is usually caused by denying the registry changes in TeaTimer when changing the automation for SpybotSD.exe.

To correct the problem:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
    • Check "Run program once at next system startup" and allow the registry change.
    • Then check "No automation" and allow the registry change.

If you are running Spybot 1.4 refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files as follows:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • TeaTimer closes.
      • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default helped a lot, but still not right

Thanks for your suggestion! I checked the "run program once at next system startup" and now it no longer scans. But it does open up the Spybot window now at each startup and I can't figure out how to make it quit doing that. I am running version 1.5.
    As for the denied registry change in TeaTimer...I think I did that. I didn't know what was going on other than it popped up a window saying something was trying to change a registry. I thought it was something bad, so I hit "block" and to allows block it. Now it is in my "blocked" registry entry and I don't know how to unblock it? Is there a way to unblock something once you said to allways block it?
    Or am I just going to have to uninstall the entire program and start all over?
    Any additional help you may have would be appreciated!
    Thanks!