Thread: Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses..

Default Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses..

I have an old laptop with Win98se and recently installed the Spybot S&D (1.5.2.2) using a tutoral guide my husband found on the Internet.
    Everything went according to the tutoral but at the end there was the following:
    "In the Immunize sector there is a feature that allows you to specify how Spybot - S&D should react when you visit a malware site and attempt to download something. These options are discussed below:
    Block all bad pages silently - Spybot - S&D will block silently with no notification to the user.
    Display dialog when blocking - Spybot - S&D will notify you when it is blocking something.
    Ask for blocking confirmation - Spybot - S&D will prompt you for confirmation as to whether or not the particular program or script should be blocked."
    When I was in the Immunize sector, I did not see those notations (Block silently; Display Dialog when blocking; and Ask for blocking confirm.
    Were those features on another version of Spybot?
    Please advise and thank you.

That isn't on the immunize page anymore in Spybot 1.5.2.Try opening Internet Explorer,then Tools,and you should see Spybot Search Destroy Configuration,and you can set up those settings there.

Block all bad pages silently is usually the least painful of the choices.

The immunize feature in Spybot-SD add's blocking of bad addresses to your HOSTS file. The three choices (block silently, show dialogue, and ask for confirmation) is the SDHelper you are referring to in IE (Internet Explorer). To enable/disable SDHelper go to ADVANCED MODE>TOOLS>RESIDENT. you can find the TeaTimer and SDHelper features in this tab. Both these are Resident Shields which offer real-time protection.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/p..._resident.html

This link should clear up your question. Remember the SDHelper applies to IE. It does not work for other browsers.

@Zenobia, I guess out super-fast keyborads were typing at the same time. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    That isn't on the immunize page anymore in Spybot 1.5.2.Try opening Internet Explorer,then Tools,and you should see Spybot Search Destroy Configuration,and you can set up those settings there.

Block all bad pages silently is usually the least painful of the choices.
    =========================
    Did it and Thank You for your help.

You're welcome,and have a great evening.

Default Confusing

Sorry, but the post by

drragostea

confuses me a bit. I am senior citizen and not at all familiar with computers, etal.

#1- When I originally installed SpyBot I believe I did check the SD Helper; and did not check the Tea Timer.

Isn't this sufficient?

=========================
    SpyBot mentioned also installing Spyware Blaster.
    #2- Can Spyware Blaster ALSO be installed on our old laptop with Win98se?

Hello tiger2. That will be adequate. Spybot offers two features of Resident Shields. TeaTimer and SDHelper. TeaTimer will be like a overall-system protection. Which would be (in my opinion) the most painful, lols, because of the prompts and confirmations.

Spywareblaster and Spybot-SD can co-exist, as Spywareblaster does not run in the background. Spywareblaster is more like an "addition" to Spybot's "immunize" feature.

To make it short: Your settings are adequate. Should you use TeaTimer or not is totally up to you.

Safe surfing.

Default Thank you

Thank you kindly.

I 'presume' Spyblaster will also work with Win98se?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

Spywareblaster and Spybot-SD can co-exist...
    And yes, SpywareBlaster is compatible starting with Windows 98 through Vista.