Thread: AlterEgo Compatibility with ForceField

Default AlterEgo Compatibility with ForceField

Pepi:

How does AlterEgo compare with ZoneAlarm ForceField regarding protection for Internet Explorer?

Can I run them both together without conflict problems?

AlterEgo protects additional programs (Outlook Express, Media Player etc.) but would I loose some protection for Internet Explorer
    by replacing ForceField with AlterEgo?

I am currently running SpyBot 1.5.2; Avast 4.8 Home Edition AntiVirus; , ZoneAlarm 7.0.473.000 Firewall; Windows Defender; and SnoopFree Privacy Shield 1.0.7 and ZoneAlarm ForceField for Internet Explorer protection against screen grabs and keystroke loggers. I have Windows XP Home Edition.

As you can see I am quite concerned about malware!!

If I wish to change something in the AlterEgo account that needs admin rights, do I do it in the original copied account? How does it get changed in the AE account?

Your help will be greatly appreciated Pepi, thanks

best regards, Peter.

I must admit I didn't know about ForceField right now, and the product page is more marketing than tech talk, but if I understand correctly that is just wraps virtualization around protected apps like the browser, the protection would probably combine.
    Running an application through AlterEgo is not different from completely logging in with a restricted user account and running it normally there.
    Different user accounts already do some separation in how various Windows can communicate with each other, but a good virtualization should be able to protect everything running under the other account as well.

I'm not sure how you start applications with ForceField... do you have special shortcuts or a start menu somewhere, or does it work "transparently" in the background, and you just click your IE or Firefox icon as usual?

If you want to run Windows Update, you would start IE from the admin account without AlterEgo of course.
    Similar for Firefox - if you want to update Firefox itself, not just its extensions, you would run it from the admin account ("regular"), update, close and get back to using the AlterEgo account.
    Can't think of other changes that need admin rights currently, if you have any specific example, go ahead and ask it
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)