Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WildTangent Removal

Angry WildTangent Removal

I seem to be having trouble removing some wild tangent files. It says I need to be an administrator or have the administrator fix the problems for me, I went to the folder and right clicked and run as administrator.. But that seemed not to fix it. How can I get rid of these files.. I am an administrator on Windows Vista. I went to add/remove programs and deleted all the files that said Wild Tangent.. I just need this fixed please. I am at my wits end. Dont know what else to do.

Please help me.

sprintcupfan

Hello, sprintcupfan. From Spybot-SD... it seems that WildTangent is a PUP. Which means it is unnecessary. I believe it was installed with WMP or Winamp. I'm not so sure, because I rarely use those programs.

Is this the only account on your PC? Thus, is it Administer?
    Also, are you using the latest version of Spybot-SD?
    The latest is 1.5.2.20. With detection updates as of : May 28, 2008 (in US).

Lightbulb

Also see the FAQ HERE on Spybot and Vista.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Question Wild Tangent Removal

the are other users on this computer but I am the administrator..
    Are you telling me that I should not do anything about it and not worry to much about it? If so I will.. Although I did another scan yesterday and it removed a couple of files but still had registry issue..

sprintcupfan

Quote Originally Posted by sprintcupfan View Post
    Are you telling me that I should not do anything about it and not worry to much about it?
    We never said anything or even imply about not helping you or telling you to leave it alone. The reason why we're here is to help you resolve your problem. If we told you to leave it alone, I and Terminator wouldn't even have responded .

Q: Who are those "people" who run as Admin? Are you a Limited Account? Is this a workstation or a personal computer at home?

Did you try Terminator's advice to "Run as Admin" as suggested by the FAQ?

So, I'm seeing that from your first post that Spybot detected WildTangent, a PUP, and you removed it from the Add/Remove Program window correct? Then, Spybot might be detecting some registry keys "left over" by this PUP.

http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml

Literally a 5 second google search, and clear instructions on how to remove it.

Exclamation

That site does not look reliable!

Exclamation This is not allowed.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266

djpailo, you may NOT give malware removal instructions. You are not authorized to give instructions. Not all users know how to manually edit the registry. And not all users know how to run fixes on Hi-jack this.

Refrain from doing this. Do not try to override the rules on Spybot forums.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266

djpailo, you may NOT give malware removal instructions. You are not authorized to give instructions. Not all users know how to manually edit the registry. And not all users know how to run fixes on Hi-jack this.

Refrain from doing this. Do not try to override the rules on Spybot forums.
    I agree with terminator and drragostea. Wildtanget can be nasty and hard to remove depending on the case. I have dealt with it over the years, and it is not fun. Anyway, I recommend if you want to get rid of it, try a spybot scan in safe mode and see if spybot can then remove all the entries.

How to boot into safe mode:

Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

* Restart your computer
    * After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
    * Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
    * Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
    * Once windows loads, launch spybot and do a complete scan. remove anything found. Launch other security software and scan with them as well, remove anything found.
    *restart your machine, you are now using windows in normal mode.*

If that does not work, you can just leave it. If it is causing your pc to not function correctly, then follow terminator and drragostea's suggestions. Usually on most Pc's it did not cause that much trouble, but on some it can get bad. If it is not affecting performance or causing any issues, i would not worry about it.
    If you want it removed, try the safe mode method, or use another antispyware program to remove it.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-06-03 at 03:15.

Lightbulb

I only downloaded WildTangent ONCE many years ago when I was still running Windows 2000 and it was real irritation but in the end I had to get new Hard Drive because the old one failed (though an unrelated problem). Never again did I download it, I learnt my lesson.