Thread: Opps now that doesn't work

Question Opps now that doesn't work

I was online a week ago when I got an annoucment or whatever it's called from Spybot saying something has changed (sorry I forget the technical terms it told me, not a computer person) something about registry values...and asked me if I wanted to accept or reject the change. I didn't recognize what it was and because I was online I thought something was going on so I rejected the change. It was called lucoms. turns out that is my live update from norton. So now it won't update anymore and I can't find the place where I can just change that rejection.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? lol

I couldn't read half of what the box said as it was because for some reason it won't scroll down. The buttons are barely visible. I had to guess the first time I had one of these annoucments came. thankfully I guessed right then.

Ok so lookng around these boards I realize it was a teatimer popup. So I clicked the icon in the taskbar and went to settings which took me to the black and white lists. it didn't apear under any of the lists and I've had the teatimer pop up come up 3 times and there's only one thing on any of the lists.

I looked at the log and there are 10 things listed and my lucoms (actualy it's lusetup) is at the bottom as denied value.

I guess it's a good thing I was thinking of cancelling my norton and finding something else.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I'm not sure were this thread stands because of the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceofJest
    I guess it's a good thing I was thinking of cancelling my norton and finding something else.
    From what I can gather, LUSetup.exe is part of Symantec LiveUpdate installer. It seems as if it may be required to install a new version of the application. Indications are that LUSetup.exe will only run once and then the entry is automatically deleted after a reboot.

If you still want help, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows the registry change(s) you denied, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread and maybe someone can figure out what went wrong and how to correct it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Lusetup & Symantec

I had the same notification on 6/6/06. Here is the log:

6/6/2006 4:28:35 PM Denied value "Lusetup" (new data: "C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe -s -a -q -log -version") added in System Startup global entry!

I denied the change. I queried Symantic about the problem, Their response was not helpful. The writer sounds like he never herad of Spybot. Oh well, India is far away.

Hi Frank ,
    Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.
    I understand from your message that Lusetup.exe attempted to change the registry.
    Frank , please note that Lusetup.exe is the installation file of LiveUpdate it cannot change the registry.
    This issue is caused by the Spybot software.
    Hence, in order to resolve this issue I suggest you to contact the system vendor(store from where you purchase the product).
    If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will gladly assist you further. Please let me know if your issue has been resolved.
    Regards,
    Imtiyaz Ansari
    Symantec Authorized Technical Support

Default Lusetup does not change the registry

I pestered Symantec until I got the subject response on 06/10/06:
    "Lusetup is the installation file for LiveUpdate and it will not change any registry files." I have to assume that the attempted registry change did not come from Symantec and that denying the change was the correct action.
    Frank C

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The statement attributed to Symantec:

"Lusetup is the installation file for LiveUpdate and it will not change any registry files."
    Does not necessarily support this conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C
    I have to assume that the attempted registry change did not come from Symantec and that denying the change was the correct action.
    Symantec support stated that Lusetup does not change registry entries. You did not ask if anything else within Norton adds the startup entry for Lusetup so that it will execute at system startup to complete the installation process of LiveUpdate.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default More on Lusetup

MD fan:
    You are correct. I gave up trying to get a direct answer from Symantec to the question: "Did you send this change at the time recorded in the log"?
    Since I was not running Live Update at the time and since I have successfully run Live Update since this incident. I concluded that I did no harm in denying the registry change. Lusetup.exe is present on my computer at:
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate
    Frank C