Thread: CoolWWWSearch or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CoolWWWSearch or not?

I'm running Spybot SD V1.3. I updated today and ran a scan. It found a couple of tracking cookies, which were deleted, and also found CoolWWWSearch.hjg, which was one of the new items in the June 11 update. I selected to fix it, and the green checkmark appeared. But when I ran another scan, it was detected again. I fixed it again, then scanned, and it was found yet again. Then I downloaded and ran CWShredder, which didn't find any CoolWWSearch on my PC. Now I don't know whether I have a problem or not. Advice would be appreciated. One other thing, when I downloaded the new Spybot definitions, I wasn't logged on as an administrator. Do you have to be admin for the spyware updates to install?

Thanks for your help.

Hello peggy.

You are using a VERY dated version of Spybot-SD ; ).

The latest version is 1.5.2.20. This version improves program stability and many other fixes.

I would suggest you upgrade to it ASAP.

Also as a note: Uninstall Spybot-SD 1.3 first. Disable SDHELPER and TEATIMER. Also, undo the immunization. You can immunize once you updated.

hi, I have added my post to this thread as it is the same subject. I found the same item yesterday, and it related to a particular registry key (I can post it if you wish but it is three lines long). I followed the advice given to the original poster and removed the older Spybot program and downloaded 1.5.2. A scan with that showed nothing wrong, and I also downloaded Malwarebytes and that scan came up with nothing. Firstly, does it seem as if my computer is actually free of CoolWWWSearch. Secondly, why did the older version find it - was it a false positive. I would be grateful for advice, because I ran Spybot yesterday prior to a disk image and naturally I am worried about imaging the disk now as I don't feel it is safe to do so. Any help/guidance gratefully received.

m3a7t9:

MalwareByte's AntiMalware would be usually used on infected computers.

What was your Spybot version prior to installing the latest one (1.5.2.20)?

If you downloaded all the updates, immunized, and ran a full scan with the latest version of Spybot, I'm assuming Spybot will be running at it's full potential. Of course, you can tweak it but I would stay away from it for now.

If CoolWWWSearch does not show up in Spybot-SD, it is safe to assume it has been gone.
    What I was thinking was to "SEARCH" with Windows Explorer for all Files and Folders related to CoolWWWSearch on your primary drive. The primary drive for me would be "C:\".

Also, you said that Spybot detected a registry key.

Can you tell me the results?

Hi, thanks for your reply. The following is the registry key:
    HKey_Users\S-1-5-21-357895349-1559929237-3824168032-1006\software\
    microsoft\windows\currentversion\internetsettings\privdiscuishown!=W-0.

I think the SpyBot previous version was 1.2 but I uninstalled and am not sure, but it was certainly old. I'll have a search via windows explorer to see if the file name that the old spybot found shows up.

just to add, I have searched via Windows Explore and nothing was found.