Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CoolWWWSearch or not?

I did see your link but am always concerned when others follow a thread
    zenobias Idea could work
    even if it does i'd remove- run small fix and reinstall
    No duplicate entries in Add remove programs?
    removing in safe mode might work
    small fix may work
    editing your start up programs to exclude t-timer might work
    what other hacks are out there?
    t-timer is designed to be robust from the bad guys
    YOU BAD!
    I have a 98 machine and had no problem with blue screens and t-timer toggle on/of or at shutdown when I was running earlier versions
    something weird has happened
    any other old timers remember this issue with 1.3 and t-timer?
    and as I said you would get more hits in the other forum

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    caterwaul:

re: false positives in Spybot 1.3.

I trust that you are aware that false positives in Spybot 1.3 cause by resent detection rules designed for later releases, cause major problems for users running Spybot 1.3 under Windows XP. Fixing those false positives cause the users to no longer be able to log onto their systems.

I suggest that you attempt to update to Spybot 1.6 (or at lease Spybot 1.5.2) and if that does not work for you that you, I strongly recommend you consider just abandoning using Spybot on your Windows 98SE system.

Using Spybot 1.3 with resent detection rule update presents a risk that I believe that you should not subject yourself to.
    Actually I'm using WIN98SE but I would presume some of the same issues apply. I also posted (see page 2 link) regarding how I have been unable to get SB1.5.2 to work with a "running" teatimer as far as shutdown in concerned.

I know I can either not run teatimer or I can try and remember to "exit" teatimer before I reboot or shutdown but none of these options are that great as I prefer to use the application and I don't want to always rely on my remembering to "exit" teatimer (besides anyone else using the computer wouldn't be aware of this requirement and would be having the computer crash with the "blue" screen error (mentioned in detail in the other thread link provided earlier in this thread).

It seems SB1.6 or bust.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    I did see your link but am always concerned when others follow a thread
    zenobias Idea could work
    even if it does i'd remove- run small fix and reinstall
    No duplicate entries in Add remove programs?
    removing in safe mode might work
    small fix may work
    editing your start up programs to exclude t-timer might work
    what other hacks are out there?
    t-timer is designed to be robust from the bad guys
    YOU BAD!
    I have a 98 machine and had no problem with blue screens and t-timer toggle on/of or at shutdown when I was running earlier versions
    something weird has happened
    any other old timers remember this issue with 1.3 and t-timer?

and as I said you would get more hits in the other forum
    This problem has nothing to do with "older versions". (issue not with 1.3 only 1.5.2).

BOTH SB1.2 and SB1.3 have both worked flawlessly for me for many many years with teatimer RUNNING! (no shutdown issues).

I have had NO ISSUES until SB1.5.2 - this is the only version that has given me any trouble at all (other than "false positives" of course recently*) - more specifically no problems running teatimer AT ALL until SB1.5.2.

*I have posted a detailed list of all of the "false positives" in link: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30970

I have tried about everything - installed it 3 times with very "clean" system.

I can shutdown without any problem if teatimer is NOT RUNNING.

The problem is ONLY shutting down the computer (reboots of course) when TEATIMER IS RUNNING.

As I've posted many times I can "exit" teatimer with no problem which tells me that SB1.5.2 is no problem with it's code as far as "exiting" teatimer it is only a problem with WIN98SE shutting down and for some reason with teatimer running there is some kind of problem "closing" teatimer.

The blue screen error has to do with teatimer "still running" thus SB1.5.2 isn't "exiting" teatimer correctly when the OS shutdown is closing programs. Clearly in my case there is some kind of combination of a coding issue and/or my OS between SB1.5.2, teatimer that causes teatimer to not "exit" properly with the OS closes SB1.5.2 since the application can "exit" teatimer without any problems (but does not when the OS is closing the program(s)).

All of this has been covered in the other thread (link provided on prior page).

Thanks for the interest however.
    Last edited by caterwaul; 2008-07-14 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Perhaps I missed something,but I wonder if,since your problems seem related to teatimer,if you could just update to Spybot 1.6 (or at least Spybot 1.5.2) and then just run Spybot as a scanner only,and not use teatimer at all?Not the best solution,I know,but better than nothing.
    I like the registry protection that teatimer supplies thus if I can't use it w/ Spybot then I'd have to try and get this protection somewhere else and as far as using Spybot just as a scanner I can do this with an on-line scanner with far less overhead on my machine.

Better yet I can use teatimer but just remember to "exit" the teatimer process prior to shutdown....

My problem with that is that I'll forget or someone else won't know to do this if they need to reboot for example.... a blue screen crash is very troubling for anyone when they get it as you know.
    Last edited by caterwaul; 2008-07-15 at 19:52.

Yes,I can understand that,since I use Teatimer.
    And I understand your dilemma.However,with all due respect,I think you really ought to consider some suggestions other than keeping Spybot 1.3.

It was announced support for earlier versions was soon ending:
    http://forums.spybot.info/announcement.php?f=4

And in the false positives forum,issues involving Spybot 1.3 are listed as Unsupported outdated version in the title already:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30132
    And:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29855

I see it was suggested by Yodama that you could move to Spybot 1.4 if Spybot 1.5.2 or Spybot 1.6 will not run properly on your Windows 98 machine.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30970
    If you did not want to apply the fix for teatimer with reshacker if you upgrade to Spybot 1.4,then on English language computers you can press A for Allow or D for Deny on the keyboard to answer the prompts from Teatimer.
    If others were using the computer,you could just tell them to do that,also.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I see it was suggested by Yodama that you could move to Spybot 1.4 if Spybot 1.5.2 or Spybot 1.6 will not run properly on your Windows 98 machine.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30970
    If you did not want to apply the fix for teatimer with reshacker if you upgrade to Spybot 1.4,then on English language computers you can press A for Allow or D for Deny on the keyboard to answer the prompts from Teatimer.
    If others were using the computer,you could just tell them to do that,also.
    I have considered SB1.4 but one question remains considering that the "announcement" did not really make it very clear as to what will be supported.

Will SB1.4 continue to be supported?

Hi.
    Yodama answered your clarification on support question.That thread is located here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31019