Thread: Question about Resident SD helper

Default Question about Resident SD helper

According to your sticky, "....There are three selectable modes that this can operate in: (1) Block all pages silently (2) Display dialog when blocking (3) Ask for blocking confirmation."

I've got "ask for confirmation" set up. Unfortunately, something's wrong at this junction. When I've downloaded something, or changed something, a window appears as follows:

Category: Browserpage
    Change: Value added
    Entry: (example) First Home Page
    New Data : http/ etc. etc

Then, below, there are two boxes, and, for some reason, they are obliterated by the bottom of the window. I've tried expanding the window vertically, and it just won't let me see what's down there. Even when I try to expand it diagonally it will only stretch side-to-side, and not vertically.

I've read the help file, but it also does NOT say what's in those boxes. On the left side is one box giving me a choice of ??????? and, on the right side , a choice of ???????

Below that it asks if I want the program to "Remember this decision" WHAT decision? what do these boxes SAY?

Thank you for your help. (I have the most recent version of Spybot; running Windows XP; thought that when I installed Firefox this problem would go away -- it didn't.)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The following type of message is not from the SDHelper it is from TeaTimer:

Quote Originally Posted by Regina
    Category: Browserpage
    Change: Value added
    Entry: (example) First Home Page
    New Data : http/ etc. etc
    TeaTimer in general:

There are two distinct functions within TeaTimer. One is rule based the other is not:
    1. TeaTimer Processes Monitor (Rule based).
      • TeaTimer monitors processes that are called or initiated in the system. If the process being called or initiated matches a list of known malicious processes in Spypot’s detection files, the process is terminated and an alert is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections. TeaTimer terminates the application before asking because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they have to be terminated before they can connect.

2. TeaTimer Registry Monitor (Not rule based).
      • TeaTimer monitors approximately 35 registry keys. If any change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring it appears that the change is actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that the change has been made it checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" entry that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a pop-up notification of the action it took. If not a TeaTimer popup dialog is issued. If you "Allow change" the change nothing is done. If you "Deny change" the change the registry change is reversed (note if you exit out of the pop-up dialog it arrears that TeaTimer denies the registry change (reverses it). Checking the "Remember this decision" option during the popup dialog stores the information for that change so that similar changes in the future will be handled automatically. After you answer the pop-up dialog TeaTimer issues a pop-up notification of the action you took.

You cannot reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry). That is why it is important to remember that:
        • If you allow all changes, you would be no worse off than if I didn't have Teatimer Enabled at all.
        • If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and security of your system.

Please note: There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
      Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
    2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    ... If any change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring it appears that the change is actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that the change has been made it checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" entry that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a pop-up notification of the action it took.

You cannot reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry). That is why it is important to remember that:[*]If you allow all changes, you would be no worse off than if you didn't have Teatimer Enabled at all.[*]If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and security of your system.
    This is exactly what I was afraid of. I have no idea what registry changes were dis-allowed thanks to the glitch! (Because, if you simply close the box, it defaults to "dis-allow!")

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Please note: There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options.
    This is exactly what's happening on my screen -- and you've given me the answer I needed!

Thank you!