Thread: Upgrading Memory?

Default Upgrading Memory?

Recently bought a used Compaq Deskpro EN, PC 1000, 20-gig, XP Pro OS, 380-something K memory. Works fine, but would like more speed.

Advertised in the paper are 1 GB of memory for $29 (just says "desktop") or 1 GB PC3200 desktop memory for $55. Can I just drop in one of these sticks? Further upgrades necessary?

Thank you in advance. This board and its people rawk!

Run your specs at www.crucial.com for a better idea of how much, which type, and prices of RAM your system will take. Is 1000 MHz your processor speed? That should be adequate unless you're a gamer, or do a lot of photo/video editing. A 20 GB hard drive is pretty small by today's standards - you might consider a second hard drive (either internal or USB external).

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Run your specs at www.crucial.com for a better idea of how much, which type, and prices of RAM your system will take. Is 1000 MHz your processor speed? That should be adequate unless you're a gamer, or do a lot of photo/video editing. A 20 GB hard drive is pretty small by today's standards - you might consider a second hard drive (either internal or USB external).
    Thx for the quick reply, Lancer. Tried the spec-check at Crucial but came up empty on model particulars, but I may be barking up the wrong tree...

Processor is Pent3, 996 mhz, 384 Ram. Not a gamer or photo/vid editor. HD is adequate, I think, my main use is surfing written info and music video streaming, not storage.

My main problem is sporadic buffering (wireless connection is usually good, above 1.0, but even above 5.5 buffering can occur) and inability to view videos at full-screen, regardless of format (Quicktime, yahoo viewer, Windows Player, etc). At full-screen, sometimes the audio will play, but the vid will always 'freeze'.

Settings? Am I making any sense??

Thank you, hope I've given enough info... Cheers

You're welcome. Buffering issues are usually related to a slow internet connection. Go to each of these sites and run the test a couple times to get an average:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
    http://www.speedtest.net/

At full-screen, sometimes the audio will play, but the vid will always 'freeze'.
    This is most likely due to insufficient system RAM or video RAM. To find out your installed video RAM go to Start> Run, type in "msinfo32", press enter. On the left, open Components and click Display. On the right, the RAM will show at Adapter RAM. Depending on what else is installed, XP needs at least 512MB to 1.0GB system RAM and 64MB video RAM to run smoothly.

It's odd that Crucial didn't have your PC listed, you might want to contact their customer support to see if they can help you: http://www.crucial.com/support/help.aspx?tabid=sc3