Thread: Can I track down someone with their mac address?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can I track down someone with their mac address?

I have already went into my router settings and blocked this guys mac address from connecting to my network.

Here is the thing, there are several low income houses by me, all of which are where a single house used to be next door to my house. I know it is one of these houses that is trying to hop on my network. Last summer I had several intruders from around there but I managed to get them off with my network software. To sum things up, I plan to go knocking on the door(s) of whoever gets on my shit to let them know I don't play that.

I have the guys mac address, and he's running vista. Is there anyway I can track him down to a specific house?

Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.
    No I know the difference between an IP address and a MAC address...

Don't assume, I'm not using wi-fi. I have a cable connection, my computer is wired to the router, my ps3 is wired to the router, and the computer in my living room uses the wireless ability from the router.

I understand why my network is insecure, the software I use (Network magic) the trial is up, and so is the network protection. I can manually block intruders using MAC filtering... I'm not asking that.

I'm asking if I can figure out which house is actually attempting to steal my bandwidth. All I can gather is the MAC address, and some minor details about the user's computer.

Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the MAC address. Please hold on until a team member or security expert answers this.

Esteemed Member

drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

I wouldn't waste my time on such a fool.

Bitman

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

I wouldn't waste my time on such a fool.

Bitman
    So my trial ending is getting what I deserve? Okay buy the software for me so I can re-enable the mac filtering so I don't have to do it manually when I get an intruder on my network. I'm such a fool right?

I don't get why you're so hostile, I didn't plan to go beat the guy up, I just wanted to let him, and everyone else down there not to go on my network.

That is fine that you don't want to help me, I can respect that I'm not forcing anyone to help me.