Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 1

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post

@dj.turkmaster: in the final release it'll be registered by the intaller, no user interaction required.
    I'll test the TeaTimer numbers... I could probably also add the LASSH count there...
    But why did it decrease from about 80.000 processes to 1172 proccesses? Does this cause a problem with it's protection? And what about the updater, is it a bug?
    DOCTUS.ORG Turkish security forum

Default Fatal Error Redux

1. Open Spybot, remove all immunization.

2. Open Control Panel, start process to remove Spybot; encounter, five or six times, an error message:

"Service `SBSD Security Center Service" failed to uninstall with error: "System Error: Code 1060. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

After continually clicking on OK, uninstall process finally proceeds.

3. Restart computer, reinstall Spybot.

4. Reimunize.

5. Start scan process; when Spybot gets to Firefox 3 default profile bookmarks, Spybot again stops working.

6. Click on Stop, restart scan. Spybot stops at bookmarks.

7. After perhaps fifteen minutes, Spybot states that scan did not finish as it was stopped by user; that message appeared while Spybot was trying to scan the bookmarks the second time.

I had no problems whatsoever with the beta-test releases, but RC1 does not work for me.

@dj.turkmaster: if I had known back when I wrote it, I wouldn't have written that I need to test it
    Meanwhile I found the reason (the new file scanner that loads faster and has less memory print was managing the count differently) and have fixed it

Sorry about the updater, did miss the question. That has to do with the internal updater completely removed now (previously, it had been kept hidden as a backup method in case the stand-alone file would be causing problems).
    First, people have been complaining that they behave differently, now people note that they behave the same :D
    To be honest: I'm not absolutely sure what exactly is the optimal behaviour, but both doing the same seems to be more "consistent". You can still change the beta setting from the Settings page of Spybot directly, or you can run the updater form its start menu program group.

@Always Confused: please check whether you have SQlite3.dll in the Spybot-S&D folder; it's an essential file for Firefox 3 scanning. Also, could you check whether you have a file of the same name in the Windows folder maybe?
    (just thinking about possible incompatible versions, though an application /should/ use the one in its own folder with priority by default, I'll have to check whether the SQLite code really does that)
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@Always Confused: please check whether you have SQlite3.dll in the Spybot-S&D folder; it's an essential file for Firefox 3 scanning. Also, could you check whether you have a file of the same name in the Windows folder maybe?
    (just thinking about possible incompatible versions, though an application /should/ use the one in its own folder with priority by default, I'll have to check whether the SQLite code really does that)
    SQlite3.dll is in the Spybot--S&D folder (no version stated); copies also exist in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (Version 3.5.4.1)and C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\xxxyyyzzz\etc, infinitum, et.al.

Talking

I've just downloaded and Installed Spybot 1.6 RC1 and I am glad to report that the Right Click, File Properties bug is gone. Nice One lads!!!!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default immunization database

I just installed Spybot 1.6 RC1, at the update, it updated the immunization database from 2007-07-25 (TU Braunschweig) is this a problem?

Best regards,

Giga

Thank you for fixing cookies immunization of Opera 9.50,this rc1 solved it for me.

As for opening more than one file, Windows actually calls the exe once for each file. Spybot-S&D itself is just passing its parameter along to an already running instance if one is found. So regardless whether you select more than one file at once, or one after each other, they'll all be loaded in the first visible window. Did you have another scanner window in the background maybe?
    I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm now seeing it on three different XP SP3 systems. Unfortunately I pretty much install the same stuff on all my systems and configure them all the same way, so it's hard for me to figure out what might be causing this. But I don't have another scanner window running in the background, so I know it isn't that.

I actually used Process Monitor to create a log of everything Windows does when I select one file and the interface comes up as expected and another separate log of what happens when I select multiple files and it doesn't come up. The logs get massive so I could have missed something, but there are certainly no obvious errors (to me) when it fails. The only difference is that when I select a single file Explorer.EXE performs a "Process Create" with the PID detail showing:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" "{Drive}:\{PATH}\{filename}"

When I select multiple files, however, that process create never occurs (though all other SDFiles.exe related processes seem to). Nothing else happens either. I don't see any other process coming into play and interfering with SDFiles.exe - it just doesn't run from the context menu if multiple files are selected.

Just FYI, if I start selecting other individual files after the interface opens successfully it works fine. Each file I add just jumps into the already open instance - but only if I add them one at a time. If I try to add more than one at a time, it still fails even when the interface is already open (by which I mean the selected multiple files never appear in the list - the interface stays open though).

Oddly enough, I can select multiple files and pass them successfully to my AV scanner (ESET NOD32) via a context menu selection. I can also select multiple files and have them added to an archive (via 7-Zip, WinRAR, or WinZip) and cut/copy/paste/etc. multiple files. It's just SDFiles.exe that doesn't seem happy.

Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks again!

And thanks also for the [future] b/w-list status and folder context menus updates.
    Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-07-01 at 02:46.

@Always Confused: interesting, didn't even look at the Firefox folder for SQLite3.dll yet I must admit The DLLs that are officially distributed on the SQLite page do not have version resources. Could you please check which one gets loaded when Spybot-S&D runs? Spybot-S&D: Tools -> Process List -> SpybotSD.exe (list entry) -> Loaded modules (tab at the bottom) - sqlite3.dll (list entry there) -> Path (column).
    If it is the one in the Spybot folder as it should be, could you please download the latest version ( http://www.sqlite.org/download.html , section "Precompiled Binaries For Windows, third one) and let me know whether that one works better?

Your steps mean that Firefox is not open at the time of the crash, right?

@Giga Wizard: forwarded to the person preparing the updates Most immunization stuff is part of the Detection rules: Supplemental update though, this might be some static part.

@Zer0 Voltage: thank you for making so much detailed tests
    7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip imho use system libraries loaded into the explorer process instead of the old, but easy method of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\...
    It might not do harm to, in the actual command, add a %* after "%1" (separated by a space).
    I'm updating my clean XP VM to SP 3 now to test for myself on the same OS configuration...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

when will spybot support multithreading for faster scan since nowadays, dual-core or even more processor is affordable?
    Last edited by chrone; 2008-07-01 at 04:52.