Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 1

Default Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 1

Since Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 support are much asked for, further speed improvements have been postponed (expect some beta update for advcheck.dll as soon as 1.6 is out though ) and we're trying to close in on the final version.

New in this release candidate is for example LASSH support for TeaTimer; in short words that means TeaTimer will now longer ask about every single registry change it does not recognize as pointing to a bad file, but will instead use the RunAlyzer LASSH database to automatically recognize and accept or deny nearly 400,000 different startup entries. This database has also been made available here on the forum, including an option for helpers to help rating new entries. Feedback on this would be appreciated.

The second new thing is that the Windows Explorer property dialog tab has been replaced by a stand-alone application (thanks to everyone insisting on this wish ) since the former was not very flexible and caused problems for some people. Instead, there is now a file/folder scanner with its own option in the context menu of files, which runs on 64 bit Windows as well (which the former solution didn't), should probably load its database somewhat faster, and allows drag'n'drop for scanning further files. Again, feedback would be welcome, especially from those who had problems with the former solution, but also about it in general.

spybotsd160-rc1.exe
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Immunization in FF3 is working corectly as I can see, and scan speed has decreased from beta 2.
    RC1 is almost as fast as beta 1, and this is great.

I was wrong about speed of scan.Only the first scan was fast, others were not.Scan time is like in beta 2.

Usage track removal isn't working for FF3 cookies, it picks them up to be deleted but when you select them and tell Spybot to delete them it doesn't actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    The second new thing is that the Windows Explorer property dialog tab has been replaced by a stand-alone application (thanks to everyone insisting on this wish ) since the former was not very flexible and caused problems for some people. Instead, there is now a file/folder scanner with its own option in the context menu of files, which runs on 64 bit Windows as well (which the former solution didn't), should probably load its database somewhat faster, and allows drag'n'drop for scanning further files. Again, feedback would be welcome, especially from those who had problems with the former solution, but also about it in general.[/URL]
    Sorry, but where is the context menu entry for this? Must we do something to enable it?

I can launch the new SDFiles.exe program manually and then d'n'd to it successfully, but no context menu entry (or setting to enable one) that I can find.

Just for the record, this new mini-interface is excellent. Much, much better solution. And unlike with the properties panel tab, I do now see the separate "Malware" and "Heuristic" sections properly (even on XP). The ability to resize this new interface is also a big plus over the previous method.

Thanks!

Oh, and scan time was 30 seconds slower than beta 2:

v1.5.2.20 = 20 minutes 17 seconds

v1.6.0.25 = 4 minutes 2 seconds

v1.6.0.26 = 7 minutes 17 seconds

v1.6.0.27 = 7 minutes 47 seconds

Unhappy Could the Tea Timer asks be optional? (please)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    ....in short words that means TeaTimer will now longer ask about every single registry change it does not recognize as pointing to a bad file, but will instead use the RunAlyzer LASSH database to automatically recognize and accept or deny nearly 400,000 different startup entries.
    Please, pretty please, remember the "paranoid" users and fans (like me).

Could you please make it optional? I would like to know and to choose for every (or at least most of them) changes to my registry. I have adavare softwares installed and when I run them I can deny the changes, additionally some times is the only way to know that some applet or script is making a change.

Please , please please

THANKS!!!
    Today I will learn something (and tell others about...)
    -XP SP3 4Ghz 4Gb
    -XP SP3 2Ghz 768Mb
    -W98 SE 500Mhz 500Mb
    All w/ZoneAlarm, Firefox, Spybot 1.6.2, Avast! 4.8 Home (Ex AVG 7.5)

I'm getting IE32-bit, IE32/64 and IE 64-bit (just like that) in the immunization window, but not Firefox 3 at all.

I'd best change that, it DOES show up fine on my laptop. Both PC and laptop are running Vista x64 ultimate, but the PC seems to not want to show Firefox in the list for some odd reason.

So, PC: Firefox not showing in immunization

Laptop: Works fine.
    Last edited by gifferjesus; 2008-06-29 at 06:47.

One bug/annoyance found:

If this new release of SpybotSD finds Lavasoft Ad-Aware on the system, you get a confirmation pop-up [warning of possible incompatibilities] about it when SpybotSD starts.

Problem is that this confirmation dialog says selecting "Ignore" will cause the warning message to stop appearing - but it doesn't. Even after clicking Ignore, the message continues to reappear on every SpybotSD start.

Also, there is a typo in the text of that confirmation message. It says "Search _Destroy" instead of "Search & Destroy" in the first line (i.e., the ampersand and space got converted to an underscore).

@ZEr0 Voltage: oh, sorry, that part isn't in the installer indeed. You can call SDFiles.exe /register for now
    Not sure about the compatibility warning; maybe I should remove it completely since the AdAware problem is going to be solved soon anyway, and the others are very old stuff anyway.

@Becky: if you right-click the TeaTimer symbol, you'll notice where you can disable it
    So it's optional, sorry for it being turned on by default, but I trust the paranoid more to find it to disable it than the regular users to find it to enable it

@gifferjesus: could you please use the Search function in Windows Explorer and tell me where (in which folder, full path needed) your profiles.ini file is located? That is the Firefox profile overview file that Spybot-S&D uses to locate profiles.

Also, if you know regedit, whether the AppData value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ is set (yes, I know, this one shouldn't be used according to Microsoft, but the Shell API doesn't allow to query this value for all available users but just for the current one).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)