Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 1

I have one annoying problem with RC1 version.

If I start scan without FF3 started scan time is almost 10 minutes(to be exact: scanning time for firefox - default - bookmarks is about 5 minutes).If I start firefox when spybot tried to scan firefox - default - bookmarks scan time is also about 10 minutes.
    But if I'm using firefox when scanning scan time is about 5 minutes, and firefox - default - bookmarks is scanned within second.

I don't have this kind of behavior in beta 1 and 2, and I'm using XP with SP3.

Hello,

For me I observe that the button " Search for Updates" has not been translated in French by "Recherche de Mise à jour" !

See here : http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...74&postcount=3

It should be done ...

Other détails (marked in red color) of translation in french not done :

Last edited by Asus L3500TP; 2008-06-29 at 21:15.
    @+

A vida não se resume em festivais (G.Vandré)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @gifferjesus: could you please use the Search function in Windows Explorer and tell me where (in which folder, full path needed) your profiles.ini file is located? That is the Firefox profile overview file that Spybot-S&D uses to locate profiles.

Also, if you know regedit, whether the AppData value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ is set (yes, I know, this one shouldn't be used according to Microsoft, but the Shell API doesn't allow to query this value for all available users but just for the current one).
    Aye, Cap'n.

Profiles is located in C:/Users/BeardPC/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla (Doubt you need the actual user name, but, I'm not seeing anything bad stemming from leaving it there.

As for the registry, there is no setting for AppData that I can see in that area.

Edit: Realizing what I believe you were going to ask, I created a new string for AppData in that key and pointed it to the profiles folder. It now works. I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by gifferjesus; 2008-06-29 at 22:33.

Betas 1 & 2 worked.

Fatal Error:

Installed RC1, ran Check, which hung on Firefox bookmarks.

I clicked on "Stop check", which put a message in the status bar that Spybot was checking download folders (which it had already done.)

Unable to close Spybot; had to kill the process through Process Explorer.

Default The updaters are the same

Both updaters, the one on the left(Update) and the one on the right(Search for Updates) are the same and both of them doesn't let you to select the beta downloads or the additional language downloads. But normally with the updater on the left you were able to select and download the beta updates and the additional language files.
    DOCTUS.ORG Turkish security forum

Default found 2 more problems

After installing spybot i put the cursor on the teatimer icon and it said 1172 processes blacklisted, rebooted the system and nothing changed still 1172 processe blacklisted but before it was about 70 or 80 thousand processes. And even though i have selected to install explorer file scan plugin there is nothing in the right click menu. before it was in the properties tab but now it has gone from there too.

@ZEr0 Voltage: oh, sorry, that part isn't in the installer indeed. You can call SDFiles.exe /register for now
    Thanks, now it works fine. And now that I can summon it through the context menu I do see the database load time improvement. File-by-file scanning time is the same as it was under the properties tab though, which means slower than the scanning seen during full system scans - but it's not that bad.

I did find one general issue and one system-specific issue though.

The general issue is that the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry isn't available when selecting folders - only when selecting files. You can drag-and-drop folders, but you can't click on them to bring it up. That needs a fix since the properties tab method supported both files and folders and since the new program obviously can support it too.

Also, on my primary XP SP3 system, SDFiles.exe will not open if I select more than one file and then select the context menu entry. In such a case, I just see an hourglass for about 2 seconds (after selecting the context menu entry) and the interface never appears. No message of any kind though. I can drag-and-drop multiple files and even manually scan multiple files from a command prompt, but trying to scan multiple files selected in Windows Explorer doesn't work. Any idea what might cause this?

Not sure about the compatibility warning; maybe I should remove it completely since the AdAware problem is going to be solved soon anyway, and the others are very old stuff anyway.
    Keeping it might be nice since simultaneously using any products with similar realtime protection risks conflicts. But it needs to be fixed such that clicking on the "Ignore" button really does disable the "Display compatibility warnings." settings option like it's supposed to (though unselecting that option manually is a work-around).

Just FYI though, I have since found out that the message only appears if Ad-Aware 2008 is present. Spybot-S&D doesn't show it if Ad-Aware 2007 or older is installed.
    Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-06-30 at 05:57.

@Becky: if you right-click the TeaTimer symbol, you'll notice where you can disable it
    So it's optional, sorry for it being turned on by default, but I trust the paranoid more to find it to disable it than the regular users to find it to enable it
    There is a bug related to this - or if not a bug, certainly some undesirable behavior.

If you unselect the "Use source whitelists" and/or "Use entry black- and whitelists" options, they automatically become re-enabled whenever TeaTimer is restarted.

TeaTimer should really be made to remember these settings though. Otherwise us paranoid folks will need to manually disable them every time it starts.

Thanks!

Ok I understood the issue about right click scanning now. But it was selected during the setup procces i think. And how do we do SDFiles /register? I mean how do we bring it to the right click scanning menu?

@Asus L3500TP: I'll bug Meik again regarding the translation status

@gifferjesus: glad you made it work will try anyway whether I can automate this a bit if the value doesn't exist, since others might notice the same thing.

@dj.turkmaster: in the final release it'll be registered by the intaller, no user interaction required.
    I'll test the TeaTimer numbers... I could probably also add the LASSH count there...

@Zer0 Voltage: remembering whitelist status: implemented
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=271

appear on folders context menu: implemented
    (no new feature request, there's an old one for SDFiles.dll already somewhere and I'm lazy )

As for opening more than one file, Windows actually calls the exe once for each file. Spybot-S&D itself is just passing its parameter along to an already running instance if one is found. So regardless whether you select more than one file at once, or one after each other, they'll all be loaded in the first visible window. Did you have another scanner window in the background maybe? It doesn't come automatically into the foreground; not sure what the best choice there would be, I decided that way because one might one to go through a list of files and select one after another for scanning, where the window always coming into the foreground would be annoying.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)