Thread: Fake XP Security Center

Default Fake XP Security Center

There is another post about this on 6/28 by upsadaisy22 but the forum will not allow me to post to that thread. I tried to load the Hijack This software but the virus will not allow it to run. It also disables Spybot, and disabled Windows Defender which was already installed.

I am pretty sure I loaded this thing with some codecs I installed abot 10 days ago. It generated the main program after being on the system for several days, so there is not point in deleting it, it will just re-generate. How is it disabling the anti-virus programs? How do I find the "mother-ware" that generates the thing?

Default More info

I did a search for all .exe files modifed in the last month. It listed the files below which seem to be related to the XPSecurity scam, either by name or by the date and time.

XPSecurityCenter.exe C:\Program Files\XPSecurityCenter 6/18/2008 9:13
    aspimgr.exe C:\Windows\System32 7/2/2008 8:46
    install.exe C:\Program Files\XPSecurityCenter 7/2/2008 11:56
    winivstr.exe C:\Windows\System32 7/2/2008 11:57
    kadanamyhe.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files 7/2/2008 11:57
    quqezo.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files 7/2/2008 11:57

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Hi

Could you run HijackThis by renaming HijackThis.exe file -> somethingElse.exe ?
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Default That worked!

I copied and renamed the HiJackThis.exe file in the same folder and that did not work. Then I moved the renamed file to the desktop - and that worked! I have attached the scan log. I have set the selective boot to not load the XPSecurityCenter.exe file. I had already ended some things that looked suspicious: aspimgr.exe, mpas-fe.exe, and a couple of others I don't remember. There is still one file loaded: braviac.exe that I strongly suspect and plan to kill. Even with the XPSecurityCenter.exe and aspi.mgr.exe files ended, I think something is still downloading stuff - the mpas-fe.exe file was loaded late Sunday night and ran on the next boot. I have identified other suspious exe files which have appeared in the last week, but most of these don't load. Scan pasted below, thanks for the response.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:54:24 AM, on 7/8/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject\NkbMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\tryit.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.exe,
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden

/tgcmdwrapper
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [braviax] braviax.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.5008\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe"

AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [braviax] C:\WINDOWS\system32\braviax.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [braviax] C:\WINDOWS\system32\braviax.exe (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online

9.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: DataViz Messenger.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: NkbMonitor.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject\NkbMonitor.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} -

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network

Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} -

C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) -

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {2AF5BD25-90C5-4EEC-88C5-B44DC2905D8B} (DownloadManager Control) -

http://dlm.tools.akamai.com/dlmanage...ex-2.2.0.8.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) -

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=19588
    O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) -

http://web1.shutterfly.com/downloads/Uploader.cab
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: cru629.dat
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. -

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google

Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
    O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. -

C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 8402 bytes

Hi

Unfortunately, some bad news

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the Trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
    When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

However, if you do not have the resources to reinstall your computer and would like me to attempt to clean it, I will be happy to do so.
    Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please let us know what you have decided to do in your next post.
    UNITE member since 2006

Default Oh well

I had resigned myself to the likelyhood the system would need to be reloaded. The virus has messed up the system in so many ways that we could spend a lot more time trying to fix it than it would take to reload. I have a MS Backup file from January 2008 that I can use to reload it. I have backed up my more recent personal files already. So it seems the best way is to reformat the disk, reload a basic Windows with Backup, then load the January file, then load my personal files. Sound reasonable?

Yes, that would be the safest thing to do. If you need guiding with reformatting please check this great tutorial.
    UNITE member since 2006

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    UNITE member since 2006