Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a few tips

Default need a few tips

I just need some simple tips.

I'm going to uninstall v. 1.5.17 and try to (re)install SD152.exe which I downloaded yesterday. I had installed SD152.exe in march (or somewhere around that time). And it turned out to be 1.5.17.

The FAQ tells me that I can uninstall it, but doing so I get a message to do a recovery and undo the immunization. These files are supposed to be in the Documents and Settings. I have copied the folder to another drive. So can I just safely uninstall Spybot without loss of the fixed errors and immunization? Because I tried to undo the immunization, but it got stuck.

Is SD152.exe really giving me the latest version (1.5.2)?

I have 1 machine with Windows XP Home SP3 and an oldy with Win98SE.
    Can the latest Spybot-version (1.5.2) run on Win98SE too ('cause I had major problems here and re-installed 1.4)?

Please don't give me threads to refer to, because I've been reading so many posts about the problems that I have too (trojans.sbi, LONG scan-times, zlob.downloader.bs trouble) that I'm only getting lost. All I really want is to solve my problems.
    English is not my native language, so please keep it simple.

Lightbulb

1.6 is out tomorrow (July 4th) so I'd wait 24hrs and then Unnistall your old version and install 1.6.

To uninstall see this FAQ.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thank you for the quick response. I will wait for 1.6.

Am I correct in this?:
    I can uninstall spybot throught the control panel, I ignore the popup-message that urges me to recover and undo immunization, and I install the new version in the same folder.
    Sorry for the extra extra check, but this message confuses me.

Lightbulb

I've never had that message but another member might be able to help.

PS: 1.6 is coming out on Monday July 7th
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Guingion View Post
    Thank you for the quick response. I will wait for 1.6.

Am I correct in this?:
    I can uninstall spybot throught the control panel, I ignore the popup-message that urges me to recover and undo immunization, and I install the new version in the same folder.
    Hi,

It is recommended that you undo the immunisation first - The warning was designed primarily for people who were uninstalling Spybot for good, because after un-installation there is no easy way to undo the immunisation

In your case I do not see there being any problems by not undoing the immunisation, but I would still undo it to be safe

Hope that helps,

honda

Thanks.

I have copied the Spybot-folder (in Documents and Settings\Application Data) to another drive. In case this folder is deleted I could restore the folder. I understand that is here where the backups and immunization-information is stored. It seems that undoing the immunization won't work. Or does this take a long long long time?

I will wait for 1.6 till monday.
    Last edited by Guingion; 2008-07-03 at 20:40.

Gui, any chance you're running Firefox 3? Immunization is quite, however un-immunization takes sometime. Make it forever . I'm just kidding. If you're using FF3, then the problem is the cookies that are "rendered" differently than FF2.

Am I correct in this?:
    That popup is just a standard message you get when uninstalling.I believe it is just a warning in case you are trying to undo changes made by Spybot,and mistakenly believe uninstalling Spybot will accomplish that.
    So,yes,in your case,when just installing a newer version,you ignore the popup.

Thank you, Zenobia, this undoubtly solves my uncertainty. It's a relief, I can tell you, because in former updates I walked the safe way and followed the instructions in the popup. So I thank you very much.

Drragostea: My Firefox version just updated yesterday-evening and it's now 2.0.0.15. So no FF3 on my pc.

Anyway: I look forward to Spybot 1.6 on monday and hope all my problems vanish with the past. After this I will enjoy a little vacation and be offline for a while.

Greetings, Guingion

You're welcome.Have a good vacation.
    It's still a good idea to unimmunize before uninstalling,if you're able to.