Thread: Immunize Hangs After Installing SpyBot 1.5.2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Immunize Hangs After Installing SpyBot 1.5.2

OS = Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111: Service Pack 3).

Upgraded my SpyBot 1.4 to the newer Spybot 1.5.2 today. When I try to Immunize, the system hangs forever with the only exit being CTRL-ALT-DEL and a majority of my files remaining unprotected (see attached image file). Never had such an issue with version 1.4 of SpyBot, so I'm at a loss here.

I'm also running Zone Alarm and Webroot's Spy Sweeper. While I've been able to search the forum and find out that Zone Alarm's "Lock Hosts file" should NOT be checked (mine was not), I've yet to locate what to disarm in Spy Sweeper.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Deltona; 2008-07-05 at 00:24.

Seems like a Webroot problem. But just to make sure... have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version?

Webroot's SpySweeper and SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD's IMMUNIZE feature are both similar because they add to the HOSTS file and sort of add "killbits" so they prevent the execution of those annoying, and maybe malicious ads and colorful banners.

See further on how Spybot prevents the installation of Malware/Spyware:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

What I would suggest is to disable SpySweeper. I mean all 13 shields. Then disable SpySweeper itself. This is momentarily, you may re-enable it after the immunization for Spybot is complete. Then Immunize Spybot and reenable the SpySweeper shields.

This seems to be a conflict, because both of their functions are similiar and they both seem to block the same or similar sites. Thus it may result a lockdown.

Thanks very much for replying, drragostea.

<<< have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version? >>>

Actually, no ... I'd read in some other threads that v1.5.2 could overwrite the existing v1.4, so I did not delete 1.4 first.

I appreciate the link you provided. While I thought I had a good understanding of how SpyBot worked, the thread you linked gave an excellent detailed description which I've PDFed for safekeeping.

So, I guess my question now is, should I go back and delete all of SpyBot completely and start over again? Or should I just pick up at the point where you advise to deactivate Webroot's Spy Sweeper and try to immunize with the current install of SpyBot?

Quote Originally Posted by Deltona View Post
    Thanks very much for replying, drragostea.

<<< have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version? >>>

Actually, no ... I'd read in some other threads that v1.5.2 could overwrite the existing v1.4, so I did not delete 1.4 first.

I appreciate the link you provided. While I thought I had a good understanding of how SpyBot worked, the thread you linked gave an excellent detailed description which I've PDFed for safekeeping.

So, I guess my question now is, should I go back and delete all of SpyBot completely and start over again? Or should I just pick up at the point where you advise to deactivate Webroot's Spy Sweeper and try to immunize with the current install of SpyBot?
    this is the way to uninstall spybot http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

when i install a new version of spybot, i always unimmunize, delete the logs, deactivate the bad download blocker, and if i had been using teatimer i would also disable that. that is just the way i do it to not encounter possible trouble when installing the new one.

i dont know anything about spysweeper, so cant advise you on that.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-07-05 at 14:23.

Smile

@Deltona

Well, a new version of Spybot S&D (1.6) is going to be released on Monday 7th July, so I would wait until then

I recommended (like blues) that you disable any protection you have and undo your immunisation before uninstalling any previous versions of Spybot

Then you can go and install the new version

Thumbs up :oops:

<<< a new version of Spybot S&D (1.6) is going to be released on Monday 7th July, so I would wait until then >>>

I guess patience is not my strong suit ... whilst awaiting more instructions, I ended up removing all traces of all versions of SpyBot; then I disabled all 13 shields of Spy Sweeper; then I disabled Spy Sweeper itself; and then I downloaded and installed SpyBot 1.5.2.20.

With Spy Sweeper still disengaged, I was able to successfully immunize with SpyBot. Then, and only then, did I re-enable Spy Sweeper.

It appears everything's working splendidly at present. I am very grateful to all of you for your kindness. I plan to pay this blessing forward on other software boards for which I answer newbie questions ... thanks again, folks.