Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Immunize Hangs After Installing SpyBot 1.5.2

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

Install Revo Uninstaller, and run it in Advanced Mode. If Spybot tells to reboot, do not. Then delete the registry keys found.
    I tried this and Revo Uninstaller did not find Spybot S&D (I had uninstalled it, but for running the "small fix", before my initial post above).

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

Reboot and run the 'small fix'. If you did it correctly...
    -The small fix should
    • downloaded directly to the desktop
    • Right-click and click MERGE

I don't think you're suppose to "run" it.

Then install Spybot-SD 1.6.
    I tried right-click and MERGE, but the exact same dialog box popped up when I did, at which point my only choices were Run and Cancel. I clicked Run and got exactly the same message I'd gotten previously.

Many thanks for your efforts here, but it looks like this issue is still unresolved.

Look forward to hearing more and many thanks in advance...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

cwb1014:

It sounds like you have a file association problem with REG files.

The following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for REG files is:

To fix the problem:
    • Download the xp_regfile.zip file and extract xp_regfile.reg to a known location.
    • Go to Start » Run » when the Run dialog opens type "regedit" (no quotes) in the Open field and click OK.
    • When Registry Editor opens go to the File menu and select Import.
    • Navigate to the xp_regfile.reg that you just extracted and open it. That should import the registry entries required to fix the REG file association problem.
    • Close Registry Editor.
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file that you downloaded earlier.
    • Double click on it
    • Answer Yes then OK.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    cwb1014:

To fix the problem:
    • Download the xp_regfile.zip file and extract xp_regfile.reg to a known location.
    • Go to Start » Run » when the Run dialog opens type "regedit" (no quotes) in the Open field and click OK.
    • When Registry Editor opens go to the File menu and select Import.
    • Navigate to the xp_regfile.reg that you just extracted and open it. That should import the registry entries required to fix the REG file association problem.
    • Close Registry Editor.
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file that you downloaded earlier.
    • Double click on it
    • Answer Yes then OK.
    Thanks very much for your help. Your solution worked perfectly!

this statement from me was wrong: and when hitting the backbutton on some site where some content is blocked, i must hit it several times when the dns client is enabled.

i am really sorry that issue has nothing with the dns client to do. this issue happens because not using a server like hostsman has when using the hostsfile.

this is about the hostsman server: HostsServer is a freeware local HTTP Server designed to speed up surfing when a custom hosts file is in use.

Other Features:
    display a message or an image when content is blocked
    log blocked urls
    Last edited by blues; 2008-07-10 at 11:33.

i forgot to say that the dns client still can cause slowdown when using a big hostsfile.