Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6 questions

Default Spybot 1.6 questions

How do I remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right-click menu thing and how do I keep it from saying "We have located 657 temporary files... Scan speed will increase if you allow us to clean your temporary folder. Dou (should be Do) you want Spybot-S&D to do this for you?" when I start Spybot? What are the temporary files Spybot are reffering to, Temporary Internet Files?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

gopackgo:

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post
    How do I remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right-click menu thing ...
    Is the "... right-click menu thing ..." you are talking about in the Windows Explorer's right click context menu?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It's reffering to temporary files folder (Temp). The folder is located in:
    Win 95/98/ME : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    Win NT : C:\WINNT\TEMP (I'm not quite sure is this the real path)
    Win XP/2000 : C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary files info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_file

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    gopackgo:

Is the "... right-click menu thing ..." you are talking about in the Windows Explorer's right click context menu?
    Yes, how do I remove it?

Default I went to help him out.......

and I as well see no option in the settings of spybot, the only place i see to make it not show in the right click menu is during the install of spybot. So md spybot fan, can you tell me too where that option is located so I know for the future? thanks. =]

et al.:

My initial post in this thread was to clarify:

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post
    ... right-click menu thing ...
    129260:

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    ... the only place i see to make it not show in the right click menu is during the install of spybot. ...
    That is correct:

During the installation of Spybot, a "Select Components" screen is presented that allows you to select "Which components should be installed". The screen presents the following options:
    • □ Main files
    • ■ Icons for starting blind user mode
    • ■ Additional languages
    • ■ Skins to change appearance
    • ■ Download updates immediately
    • ■ Separate Secure Shredder application
    • ■ Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)

The following option (selected by default) controls whether or not Spybot's scan option will be added to Windows Explorer's right click context menu:
    • ■ Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    … So md spybot fan, can you tell me too where that option is located so I know for the future? …
    Since I did not personally install the option and therefore the components are not in place on my system, I am not in a position to tell you how to disable the option. Normally if you unregister the dll associated context menu item it will eliminate the option from the context menu. However, since I did not install the option I do not have a registered dll to unregister to try it.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

So there is no way to disable it within Spybot? What dll do I have to unregister?

gopackgo:

With Windows Explorer running, go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » double click on Process List in the right hand pane. When the Process List opens, scroll down until you find the process Explorer.exe in the upper right hand pane. Select the entry. Select the Loaded modules tab in the lower hand pane. Scroll through the listing of loaded modules and see if there is an entry for a dll loaded from C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK, the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

At least that worked when I tried it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either.

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.

Zer0 Voltage:

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    md usa spybot fan