Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26,531 Not Immunized in Version 1.6.0

Default 26,531 Not Immunized in Version 1.6.0

Good day, folks.

I've noticed this behavior periodically since the 9x days; and wanted to know what the causes are.

Here's the current scenario:

>> Fresh, defragmented install of XP Home on a DOD-wiped drive.
    >> Fresh install of Firefox and SpyBot 1.6.0 on same.
    >> No virus scan or behavior blockers installed.
    >> No spyware in evidence on the target.

Result:

>> Firefox cookies: 191 unprotected.
    >> Firefox images: 8780 unprotected.
    >> Firefox installations: 8780 unprotected.
    >> Firefox popups: 8780 unprotected.

Now, I have completely reinstalled both Firefox and this version of SpyBot no less than three times; in each instance all residual traces of Firefox were searched out and deleted from the partition. Yet, the problem persists; despite the fact that, before this present wipe, this same exact software set on this same HD was capable of full immunization.

Again, I have periodically noticed this behavior on systems in various condition from 9x to XP Pro throughout the years; capriciously affecting both IE and Firefox.

What is the problem here? Perhaps a helpfile entry with advanced techniques to handle this issue in the field would be of some assistance?

Any help with this present matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That is Firefox 2, not Firefox 3, right?

Spybot-S&D 1.6 is able to deal with both versions, but if it does not find an existing previous immunization, it defaults to Firefox 3 mechanisms since that will in the near future be the best choice. Since no Firefox 3 is installed, it will recognize them as unapplied immediatey afterwards.

If you do not want Firefox 3, you can trick Spybot-S&D 1.6 into recognizing it's a Firefox 2 installation by doing two things in the profiles folder:

1. Delete permissions.sqlite (the file that would be used for Firefox 3)
    2. Create a new, blank (empty) file named hostperm.1 (e.g. new file with notepad, then rename it).

This issue would be new to 1.6 though. With 1.5, a very fresh Firefox installation might not be detected; a profile has to be created by running it at least once. With IE, I can't quite imagine where the problem would be, since it's only requirement would be detecting the users registry part. There are a few conflicts where antivirus applications detect immunization entries as bad since they're not really looking at their data, just their names, but that's usually not the whole list, just a few entries.

In general, yes, I think I should add a wiki page explaining how various browser profiles are detected, and how detection could be influenced.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@PepiMK:

Yup. Don't want to break my extensions.

Spybot-S&D 1.6 is able to deal with both versions, but if it does not find an existing previous immunization, it defaults to Firefox 3 mechanisms since that will in the near future be the best choice.
    Happy as a clam with the features, extensions, and quirks in my copy of 2.x; and with SpyBot on patrol, I'm not terribly interested in an upgrade anytime soon...

If you do not want Firefox 3, you can trick Spybot-S&D 1.6 into recognizing it's a Firefox 2 installation by doing two things in the profiles folder:

2. Create a new, blank (empty) file named hostperm.1 (e.g. new file with notepad, then rename it).

This issue would be new to 1.6 though. With 1.5, a very fresh Firefox installation might not be detected; a profile has to be created by running it at least once.
    Worked like a charm! Thank you. Seems like a fairly simple code patch to allow legacy installations like this: Any plans to slip in a two-line module which would allow for this type of interoperability?

As to what has historically happened with IE, I haven't the foggiest, either. All I know is that I've witnessed this type of issue from time-to-time throughout the eons with both "Country and Western" browsers; and wondered if there was a particular quirk at the bottom of it all. Just curious...

In general, yes, I think I should add a wiki page explaining how various browser profiles are detected, and how detection could be influenced.
    Thank you again for your prompt and thoughtful help here.

BTW -- you seemed to indicate that version 1.5 is essentially a click-fit solution for Firefox 2.x: Is there a link to older releases which could be trolled? Relatedly, would the immunization/update files afforded in 1.6 (and later) be available through the older 1.5 interface?

Thanx.

Bump:

This issue would be new to 1.6 though. With 1.5, a very fresh Firefox installation might not be detected; a profile has to be created by running it at least once.
    Worked like a charm! Thank you. Seems like a fairly simple code patch to allow legacy installations like this: Any plans to slip in a two-line module which would allow for this type of interoperability?
    BTW -- you seemed to indicate that version 1.5 is essentially a click-fit solution for Firefox 2.x: Is there a link to older releases which could be trolled?
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Hm.. I don't have a file named "permissons.sqlite". I deleted the file hostperm.1 and created a new one. And the Immunization won't work on my machine correctly. Any suggestions?
    To your information: Firefox 2.0.0.16, Windows XP SP 3.

Default Spybot does not work right for Firefox 3 for me

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post

<snip>

This issue would be new to 1.6 though. <snip again>
    I believe I've documented a case where Spybot doesn't behave properly on Firefox 3 here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31972

I'd sure appreciate some help to solve this problem.

Thanks, Ed

Default Please update...

I currently use firefox 3.0.3 and i can't immunize with spybot 1.6.

I am usuing windows vista and the above fix does not apply can you please post a fix

thank you

P.S. There is no Permissions.sqlite file and i did not find any hostperm.1 file either.
    Last edited by SirCannibus; 2008-10-20 at 01:05. Reason: additional Info

SirCannibus and others.

A user reported that one solution worked for them in Windows Vista:

Right-click the Spybot desktop icon and click "Run as Administer". Then click on the Immunize tab and click on the Immunize button (Green Cross). That should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    SirCannibus and others.

A user reported that one solution worked for them in Windows Vista:

Right-click the Spybot desktop icon and click "Run as Administer". Then click on the Immunize tab and click on the Immunize button (Green Cross). That should do the job.
    This is not a solution to this problem, but another basic immunization problem with Vista.

I have been having the exact same problem as SirCannibus has described (and others) and finally found a solution that worked for me tonight. First upgrade spybot entirely. Second, do immunization though it won't do anything for firefox. Third, uninstall firefox and reinstall the lastest version (don't use a patch upgrade) directly from Mozilla's site. Fourth, redo the immunization. Hopefully, this will help a few others like it helped me tonight.

thore168, have you tried my solution and did it work?