Thread: wow.exe= Spyware????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default wow.exe= Spyware????

Been a regular and paid user of Spybot for years...recently having more problems with my PC running Win XPPro, 1GB ram, 3.0 AMD processor so I shouldn't be slow. When I get slow I use the Task Manager to check processes and there is one called wow.exe which doesn't indicate that is is consuming resources but my CPU use function is maxed out or close to max. when I shut it off seems like things are OK...web search wasn't clear whether this is a problem or something that should be there... Does anyone know? Search on this site didn't get me anywhere so I thought I'd post
    Thanks
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-03-18 at 18:56. Reason: Moved from Malware removal forum

Hi there.
    Could be a World of Warcraft process, also see here:
    http://castlecops.com/startuplist-5219.html

If you would like someone to take a look at the system.

• Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available.
    • Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
    • Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except
    • Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
    • uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
    • Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.
    • Now select (near the top) view report.
    • Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report.

Otherwise follow the instructions here:
    Before you post a log, and who will advise you.

Start a topic in the malware forum providing a HJT log.
    Malware Forum

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by artsalfa View Post
    Been a regular and paid user of Spybot for years...recently having more problems with my PC running Win XPPro, 1GB ram, 3.0 AMD processor so I shouldn't be slow. When I get slow I use the Task Manager to check processes and there is one called wow.exe which doesn't indicate that is is consuming resources but my CPU use function is maxed out or close to max. when I shut it off seems like things are OK...web search wasn't clear whether this is a problem or something that should be there... Does anyone know? Search on this site didn't get me anywhere so I thought I'd post
    Thanks
    Hi. New here. I just had a similar experience but without the processor use. I have NEVER had World of Warcraft on this machine ever. Whatever it is, it's new, And the process has a space in front of it's name. It was too weird for me to allow to continue, so I killed it before it could do anything more than whatever it was doing.

Thanks,
    Safe_Hex

Arrow like tashi said

Quote Originally Posted by Safe_Hex View Post
    Hi. New here. I just had a similar experience but without the processor use. I have NEVER had World of Warcraft on this machine ever. Whatever it is, it's new, And the process has a space in front of it's name. It was too weird for me to allow to continue, so I killed it before it could do anything more than whatever it was doing.

Thanks,
    Safe_Hex
    if u want someone to look at your system, post in the malware removal forum/please do not reply to a thread even if you are having similar issues. It would be better if you would post your own thread of your issue next time. thank you.

Greetings . I had encountered the same incident when I just reformatted my Windows XP Home. I was downloading all the critical updates for SP1 on the first run when I started TaskManager. I found a process name "wow.exe" just like artsalfa said but the process had a tabbed space on its left. By this I mean like it is not in the same column as the other processes. I ran a look on Google and it told me that wow.exe was something related to Windows 16-bit. I cannot remember quite clearly, but I am definitely sure it is not World of Warcraft. The next reboot, wow.exe was gone from the TaskManager. Artsalfa: you should definitely run a spyware and malware scan, because it is abnormal for wow.exe to boot up with your PC each time you start. In addition, spyware leech off your CPU.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Safe_Hex View Post

Thanks,
    Safe_Hex
    i have the same spaced " wow.exe" with no usage info
    rootalyze shows no hidden proc's
    and im doing a fresh install of windows having all kinds of memory fault isues
    i think those are due to my closing down pctools firewall and pctools viruscanner during the updates process? faults dont happen untill i do this so ?
    anyway back to the " wow.exe" wth iv never seen this nor had world of warcraft installed on this system ever is it part of the new microsoft batch updating proceses? aka wud batching?