Thread: Cannot download updates-error message

Default Cannot download updates-error message

I receive the following error message when I try to download updates from within SS&D on my computer.

error retrieving update info file!

I had some malware issues recently which have been resolved. I have already uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy of SS&D. Still have the issue. I have been downloading the updates from the website.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Hello,

1. The error message \"Error retrieving update info file\" usually appears when Spybot-S&D has accidently imported bad Internet Explorer proxy settings. In this case, it helps just to disable the proxy option in Spybot-S&D:
    Open the Settings section and go to the Settings page. Locate the Use proxy entry in the Automation - Web update category, and disable it.
    If you cannot see the Settings section, start Spybot-S&D in advanced mode (see your Start menu group for Spybot-S&D).

This information is also available in our How-To section (including a screenshot).

2. Please check your firewall. Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot-S&D accidentally blocked in their firewall.

3. If nothing else works, you can still use the manual updater, which is available on the website - the Detection Update.
    (Notice: if the Info page does not show the correct update date after installing the updates with the manual updater, please ignore that - this will be fixed with the next release)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Thank you

Thank you for your help, update is working now.