Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Default Slow Browsing

Hello,

I would like to remark that I have the same problem with Spybot 1.6, more specifically Resident IE/SDHelper. I am using Windows XP Home SP3 and Internet Explorer 7. With Resident IE activated, browsing is extremely slow.

Regards, Julian

I downloaded Spybot 1.6 and it killed my Internet Explorer. It was running so slow I had to finally download Firefox just to make it through the day.

It wasn't just the web browsing (images loading, etc) that slowed to a painful crawl, the whole Internet Explorer interface would freeze, preventing me from selecting toolbar items, tabs, even the url.

After reading these threads I disabled SD Helper and Internet Explorer is back to normal.

I noticed Windows Explorer was effected as well.

Interesting observation was when doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del and going to the Task Manager and viewing Processes iexplore.exe had a Mem Usage of around 125,000K, something I've never seen from any program. Upon disabling SD Helper it's back to a more reasonable 28,384K.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3, IE7 and had no issues with Spybot 1.5

Default SDHelper needs a BugFix

Can we please have a Team Spybot menber review this thread with a view to adding this SDHelper bug to the Bug Tracker.

Surely we have enough reports now to show this is not some random interaction with other other software.

Hello,

Those problems could probably be refered to the domains which are too much for the browser to handle when Spybot's resident feature is turned on. But we will delete the inactive domains soon and only deal with the ones that are really online. So the browser should work quicker then. We hope that we will solve this problem very soon.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the input spybotsandra.

But I have a question - would your theory about the large number of domains now in the protection list also explain the slowdown/delay seen when opening folders in My Computer? I can understand how this idea could explain a slowdown in IE Browser response but am unclear how it could affect the opening of folders in Windows Explorer.

The opening post in this thread stated:
    I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly.
    The majority of posts in this thead relate to delay in opening folders in My Computer/Windows Explorer - with another set of people also reporting a dramatic slowdown in IE7 response times. Only a few people seem to report suffering both problems - I only have the Windows Explorer delay myself - IE7 is fine.

Upgraded automatically a few days ago the the new 1.6 engine and immediately opening folders in windows explorer slowed down to a 3 second delay. My browser also seemed much much slower. Since the only thing I had done was upgrade Spybot I just uninstalled it and my system seems normal again.

If I re-installing 1.5 and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Those problems could probably be refered to the domains which are too much for the browser to handle when Spybot's resident feature is turned on.
    Are there that many more domains protected through Spybot 1.6 compared to an updated version of Spybot 1.5.2 ? Because there is ABSOLUTELY NO slowdown in 1.5.2.

Also, as DougCuk brings up in his important question, I also experienced severe slowdowns just navigating folders in 1.6. -not so when I downgraded back to 1.5.2.

George69: you'll probably find going back to version 1.5.2 will be fine.
    Last edited by gamebroo; 2008-08-15 at 01:43.

Greyfox made some interesting observations in this parallel thread
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975&page=3

I just tested his suggestion about disabling SDHelper totally or just in the IE Manage Addons - and observed an interesting result. My problem is purely a 3 second delay opening folders in Windows Explorer - however both methods of disabling SDHelper remove this 3 second delay. I have tested this with two configs - XP-Pro_SP3 + IE7 and XP-Pro_SP2 + IE6 both react the same.

I know several other members have reported curing the IE slowdown via either route - but I was suprised the Manage Addons route cured my Windows Explorer delay - although I suppose they are functionally the same. But how a BHO that is only supposed to load when you start IE can affect the operation of Windows Explorer/My Computer - when IE is not running - is puzzling and the reason I feel we need some more technical input from the developers.

Lightbulb

I thought I had cured my slowdown/crash problems by resetting IE but it didn't work so now back to disabling The SD helper untill it is fixed.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Greyfox - has again made an interesting suggestion in this parallel thread
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975&page=3

He suggested running a test by renaming the Domains.sbs file which contains the bulk of the protection list used by SDHelper. The idea being if it only has a few items to protect it might speed up dramatically. And prove or disprove Spybot Sandras suggestion that the size of the list is the cause of problems with SDHelper. It nomally shows 18,879 entries but this reduces to 627 if it can't find the Domains.sbs file.

I tried renaming Domains.sbs and rebooted to ensure the change was active - but it had no effect on the 3 second delay seen in Windows Explorer. I then extended the idea to ALL immunisations - and it had no effect at all - the 3 second delay remained. But disable SDHelper and the delay is instantly gone.

Watching in Task Manager the CPU usage of Explorer jumps to 50% and stays there during the 3 second delay - but only shows a momentary spike when SDHelper is disabled. Without SDHelper the CPU usage in Task Manger (Performance graph tab) appears to reduce when you revisit the same folder again (caching?). You see the spikes on the graph get smaller - but with SDHelper running the CPU usage always rises to exactly 50% stays there for 3 seconds and then falls back to zero.

It would appear SDHelper is causing Explorer to get stuck - doing what I have no idea - any suggestions as to how to track this down? I have various utilities including Sysinternals Process Explorer but am not sure what to look for. Just had a first look and Sysinternals Process Explorer v11.04 does actually allow you to see that it is the BROWSEUI.DLL thread that accounts for all the CPU usage of Explorer during the 3 second delay. That might be an important clue to the right person?