Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
drragostea,

It's all a matter of how you look at it. As real time active prevention Teatimer has to keep up with the ever increasing number of problems created by the miserable lowlife that produce malware. It has to keep doing more and more, and no matter how smart the coding, sooner or later that will mean using more resources, and/or taking more time. There will be complaints if the software doesn't keep doing more, there will be complaints if it does but uses more resources, and there will be complaints if it does but is slower.

I don't know whether you took part in the beta test of the new version of Teatimer or not, but if you did, you will know that the "conserve memory" mode (which is the default in the new release) was in the area of 40Mb, and that this was and is greatly reduced from the "higher speed at the expense of more memory" which comes in at about 173MB on the three XP machines I have.

The developers of Spybot have a difficult task trying to please users with very different criteria. At one end of the spectrum there are those who for what ever reason have remained with old operating systems with very little memory, and at the other end those who have modern fast platforms with heaps of memory. To be brutally frank, over time the first catagory is gradually dying by attrition, and the latter is moving back to take their place as technology continues to go forward - thats life.

Those with modern equipment rightfully expect performance, and 173MB is really not an issue for them. For those in the middle, with lower but still reasonable amounts of memory, 40MB is also not an issue. I personally think this new version of Teatimer with its ability to be configured in the two different modes, and also with its "caching" of scan results is a real step forward in trying to meet the needs of the widest possible user group.

At the lower end of the equipment range at some stage users have to make a decision - when their equipment is no longer adequate to support the type of software that is needed in todays world, then they either have to replace it, upgrade it, or accept the fact that they can't have all the benefits and features. In this case that may be to use Spybot without Teatimer. It is worth remembering that some other software hasn't bothered to support their end of the spectrum at all.

I fully expect that many will take issue with this post - so be it.

May I ask how can I get the teatimer to performer at higher speed like you say??
I've been looking at my settings but couldn't find an option for increasing the speed of teatimer at the expense of higher memory. I'd like to see it for myself which option will be preferable to me. I'm using the 1.6.0.30 with teatimer beta version 1.6.1.22. Thanks in advance!