Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts

TeaTimer-beta-1.6.1.21.zip

Five .reg files allow toggling of the discussed things (debug mode to have more details in Resident.log; switching between the two scan engine modes).

Balloons are enabled by default, can be disabled from the context menu of the tray icon.

One thing I do still find annoying is that he balloons stay for at least 10 seconds (or was it 15)? That's a Windows limitation designed to make sure the user notices them, smaller values are not possible. I added a final "All new processes have been scanned" message to avoid the impression that the last process would take very long compared to earlier ones.

As for the reason this takes longer: Spybot-S&D is optimized for doing a full system scan, not exactly for scanning single files. Antivirus applications do build one or few hash values of a file and look that up in their database. Spybot-S&D is much faster for the complete scan, but slower on individual scans
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PepiMK:

Looks good to me (I did not test the debugging and scanmode options yet). Very speedy on a restart after initial scan.

Et al: MD5 of TeaTimer-beta-1.6.1.21.zip
    • 67D9537F05F67CE1798BD212B0A5FD68

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Teatimer beta 1.6.1.21

Query re terminology.

Fast scan is currently ConserveMemory=1
    Slow scan is currently ConserveMemory=0

To conserve memory is to limit the amount used. To me Slow scan (conserving or limiting memory) should be ConserveMemory=1

Is there a possibility the files are cross named?

@md: thanks for posting the hash

@Greyfox: oh, indeed, you're right! The two files are mixed up.

Will the normal updates be applicable to this beta version or is it just a standalone for testing purposes.

That's just a standalone download link for those interested in the discussion here. Feedback in a dedicated thread usually is much better than waiting for feedback on a regular beta file in the updater

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PepiMK (Patrick):

I believe that the following question by nagan may be referring to the weekly include file updates (.sbi and .sbs files):

Quote Originally Posted by nagan View Post
    Will the normal updates be applicable to this beta version or is it just a standalone for testing purposes.
    If the reference is for the weekly include file updates, I assume the answer is: Yes, the weekly include file updates will be use by Teatimer beta 1.6.1.21. Is that correct?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-07-21 at 18:33.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Ah, ok. In that case: your assumption is correct!
    It needs the same files the regular TeaTimer.exe needs, so the best way to try it is to e.g. rename the existing TeaTimer.exe to TeaTimer.exe.bak und put the new file in its place.

(btw: if placed in any other location, TeaTimer would still read the installation location from the registry to be able to locate the databases)

Thumbs up

The 1.6.1.21 beta version of Teatimer seems to work fine on my 2.4GH Core 2Duo computer - 1Gb memory. I'm currently running it with ConserveMemory=0, and the scan speed is quite fast. Having now been through a number of reboots and the PC having been used for a reasonable period there is only a very brief scan occurring now at each bootup (the "cache" working as planned?) and the shut down delay of the bubble is now the slowest item. (I specifically haven't turned this off yet whilst trialling the new version, although that would be my preferred normal mode.

I did an initial test with ConverveMemory=1 before changing this to the current mode, however even when Teatimer is disabled and then subsequently re-enabled it doesn't now seem to be scanning as many processes as it did when I first installed it. Does unticking Teatimer in Tools/Resident and later re-enabling clear Teatimer's cache, or is there another way if doing this so I can obtain a start from scratch scan for each different settings option?

Smile

To add to my previous post -

With ConserveMemory=0 Teatimer' memory usage (as shown in task manager) was 169,376K.

With ConverveMemory=1 it was 34,968K. In this mode it does take a little longer to complete scanning processes at bootup, but is still not a problem on this PC.