Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

caterwaul:

re:

Quote Originally Posted by caterwaul View Post
    I understand that Spybot is "freeware" and totally appreciate the developers extending this excellent Spyware application ... but ...

I really cannot imagine that the developers would not have access to …

Clearly if Spybot would work on that kind of "resource starved platform" …
    What you are saying has some merit to a certain extent. "Team Spybot" has attempted to maintain code compatibility with older versions of Windows. However, if your implication is that "Team Spybot" should stop development of new versions Spybot that do not run on a "resource starved platform", than I totally disagree.

Malware purveyors are developing new threats on a daily bases. Unlike in the past where a majority of malware just presented unsolicited adware when accessing the internet and that malware was easily corrected, today's threats involve a whole new level of sophisticated attacks to acquire information that can lead to identity theft, credit card fraud and even the empting of bank accounts.

If the code in Spybot is not capable of thwarting (preventing) or eliminating those threats because it is limited to the lowest denominator of the most "resource starved platform" it may become useless to a majority of users.

Patrick M. Kolla, the developer of Spybot started this thread to address concerns with the CPU utilization of the latest version of TeaTimer. I believe that he has addressed those concerns for a majority of the users of Spybot.

While I was formulating a response to your original post (above) you posted this:

Just in case this might help....

As far as my issue w/ the system crashing at shutdown w/ Teatimer running using either v 1.5 or 1.6 this ONLY happens if I have launched (not even done anything w/ it) the Spybot main application interface sometime prior to shutting down. ...
    Now that post has been followed by:

Sorry but the ridiculous 15 minute limit on edits is really a problem. …
    Patrick M. Kolla, the developer of Spybot, started this thread to address concerns with the CPU utilization of the latest version of TeaTimer. He addressed those problems and released a beta version of TeaTimer that I believe may address the concerns of a majority of the users concerning the CPU usage of the latest version of TeaTimer.

Your issue appears to be with the fact that you are running Spybot on a "resource starved platform" and not the TeaTimer CPU utilization issue being addressed in this thread. Rather than hijack this thread and divert it from an issue that may affect a vast majority of users, I respectfully request that you confine your comments to either of these two (2) threads that you started:
    1. This thread you r started today:

---or ---
    2. The thread you started earlier:

Your consideration would be appreciated,
    md usa spybot fan

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up

As far as I am concerned, the beta version of Teatimer is definite improvement over the Teatimer that was part of the 1.6.0.30 Spybot release, and my question now relates to when and how it will be released.

The current default setting is the "scan mode slow or memory conserve mode" which would perhaps make life easier for those with slower CPU or low memory platforms, but would not offer the improved performance for those of us with modern computers. Whilst I don't think this is an optimum situation, I guess it is the safest one.

Presumably the revised Teatimer could be issued as part of an auto download, running in it's default mode, however users who may not be aware of this beta topic would then not be aware of the other mode or how to patch the registry to change to it.

PepiMK, can you perhaps shed any light on what will occur?

Esteemed Member

I've also experienced a great improvement in the operation of the 1.6.1.21 TeaTimer beta on my old WIndows 2000 Professional based PII 400 w/512MB RAM. It used to spike to 100% utilization for several minutes after Windows logon, but now only does this for a few seconds until TeaTimer starts checking the System process when it drops to about 3% average. I did have to disable the balloons though, since they streched out the startup process for the original several minutes even with the low utilization, though I could speed this manually by clicking them away.

Though Patrick and the Team will make the real decision, there is precedent for delivering an updated TeaTimer via the Integrated updates, including any additional files that might be required. As you mentioned, it's probably best to default to the mode that will work for everyone, leaving it to the more technically literate to modify their system for performance.

It's also common to post the technical reason and pointers to more information on the main web site, as well as include some info in the Help or Tutorials. In this case though, it might make sense to include the initial configuration in either the installer or the Widard that runs at first startup, though many make mistakes here in a rush to install, so stability should come before performance in this decision. This would also, of course, require the creation and digital signing of a new complete installation package as well.

Bitman

Lightbulb thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Nagan,

The Teatimer beta release is only a patch, not a full spybot installation. The .zip file contains a replacement Teatimer.exe file and a number of registry patch files to allow changes in configuration.

To install the teatimer beta I would recommend first unticking Teatimer in Spybot Tools/Resident, then renaming the existing Teatimer.exe in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy. I renamed mine OldTeatimer.exe.
    After that, just copy the new Teatimer.exe into the folder and then retick it in Spybot and my preference is to then reboot.

Note: to see teatimer.exe you will need to unhide system files - don't forget to rehide them again after.

Finally: Whilst it seems fine at the moment, as with all beta releases, there is no guarantee that it is bug free - that after all is what beta is all about. If you are not comfortable with this stay with the official release versions.
    greyfox, i tried what you suggested and now i will reboot and see if the new teatimer works. thanks. I will post back with my results!

Lightbulb I am happy to report

everyone, that the new teatimer works great!! Before with the other teatimer, My system when i logged in would not load at first all my icons next to the clock, causing me to have to log out and then re-login back in so that everything loaded correctly. My startup time is 1 minute less then it used to be. Also, teatimer is using very low requirements now on my system, system specs are in my signature. I also noticed that when right clicking the old teatimer, it took a second or two before the menu popped up. I am happy to report that with the new teatimer version i am able to right click and have the menu immediately pop up. This new teatimer works beautifully.Thanks!!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-07-29 at 23:45.

Default aiyup, seems lots more stable :D

After deciding to try TT today after a long hiatus, the beta came just in the nick of time to help me revise my opinion of the extra layer of realtime protection. TT as packaged with v16030 popped up a whitebox with a cancel button a few minutes after a reboot, chilled the inputs, stopped the clock (sound familiar?) and ungracefully died. As did the slow and fast reg options, although they were more or less graceful. The default reg option seems just right for me (P3 @ ~1GHz, 512RAM and of course WinME)

a) TTb-off startup stats - CPU idle 0%, Userfree 99%, pm used 35%

b) 'slow' reg - medium CPU bump, pm 74% `til about 9 minutes in (TTb died)
    durations were odd, pm backed down about 2 min. before TTb terminated

c) 'hi' reg - very high CPU plateau, pm 42% `til about 10 minutes in (TTb died gracefully)
    the very high 99% plateau lasted about 2-3 minutes, then a 3-5% idle

d) 'default' reg - low-med CPU bump, pm 43% and *stable*
    decent and reasonable performance for realtime monitoring

Possible idea for 'nervous Nellies' - blue or other neutral 'blink-light' anim on traycon to show working status of silent mode (reassuring without alarming, it does the job you trust it with).

Good Deal and hope the new improved TT works for others as well

Lightbulb hey PepiMK

I wanted to let you know that the only issues i found, were that when allowing or denying a change, it takes 100% cpu usage, and when i click allow it takes 4 seconds to register the click. Otherwise, it works fine. You can read my above posts that i made as well. What happened to the box that appeared in the lower right hand corner when you allowed or denied a change? Or was that supposed to be shown by notification balloons? Because that option is checked in teatimer, but i have not seen any notification balloons from teatimer yet...

Smile

The accept/deny panel (see attached screen shot) comes up roughly in the middle of the display and is not affected by whether the "show info balloons" is ticked or not, that only stops the display of the Teatimer scanning process information.

Default Tea-Timer memory usage?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since it seems to be the primary thread to discuss Tea-Timer, so I'm going to go ahead anyway.

I came to the forums looking for a solution to Tea-Timer's increasing memory usage. I found that a new version of Spybot had been released that I was unaware of. After reading this topic (and several others), it appears that my concerns were echoed by others and that the new version would address them.

While reading the various discussions here, it appears that certain trade-offs were being made.

If I understand what has been said here, then this is the way Tea-Timer behaves. At initial startup of TT, it scans all active processes to look for problems. This scan takes much CPU and/or memory to accomplish this task. TT then goes into a quiescent state where it waits patiently for something to happen (like a new process starting, registry change, etc.) and then activates again performaing a new scan, trap, whatever, of the specific item then returning to its quiescent state again.

What I don't see explained is why TT needs so much memory when it is just waiting for something to happen. It is not the virtual memory that bothers me but the size of the memory that seems to need to remain resident. Is this something that can be improved or is it just the nature of the beast that a large physical memory footprint is required.

Thank you for a wonderful product.

Win2K, K2-450, 192mb SSD 1.5.2, TT (for now)
    Last edited by snrcfan; 2008-08-01 at 19:00. Reason: Left off SSD version!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

snrcfan:

This thread is about problems encountered with the Spybot 1.6 version of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.20) and the measures taken to correct those problems including the development of a beta addition of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.21):

I suggest that you upgrade to Spybot 1.6, download and install the beta version of TeaTimer and see if that has alleviated your concerns.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.