Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I've attempted to download the beta updates and it was successful.

I heard there was v.1.6.0.31?

My TeaTimer is: v.1.6.1.22

The CPU usage is 0% at the moment, but it was 50% CPU during the few minutes about the installation of TeaTimer beta.

However, what concerns me is that TeaTimer is still using 43MB of memory as compared to 14MB when it was first installed.

Thoughts?
    ya weird, my teatimer version is v.1.6.1.21 ?? Do i need to download the beta teatimer from this thread again? Has it been updated since i downloaded it a bit ago? Should i try using the updater within spybot to download the latest beta teatimer?
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-09 at 01:26.

@Yodama, I am serious. Spybot-Search&Destroy's TeaTimer usage was using 14MB at one time (which I was happy for the improvement). This situation of TeaTimer using 43MB sounds just like the same TeaTimer in v.1.5.2.20. The 14MB memory usage observation took place during the week for Spybot-SD's 1.6 release. TeaTimer rose to 28MB of memory during the first hour of usage.

If TeaTimer's memory usage (despite it's new features) was the same as it's previous version, then the statement about the the reduced memory usage (in my opinion) is false.

Edit: As for 2 hours of usage, I took a look at Task Manager (TeaTimer beta) and it was using 30MB roughly. And this is only for the beta.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-08-09 at 08:45.

My teatimer was using very little ram too. But then I found out that after updating spybot's database and restarting the computer the new updates affected teatimer ram usage. Thats because before updating it was saying 10thousand processes blacklisted but after updating it says 148354 processes blacklisted and this naturally affects teatimer's ram usage.
    DOCTUS.ORG Turkish security forum

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

If TeaTimer's memory usage (despite it's new features) was the same as it's previous version, then the statement about the the reduced memory usage (in my opinion) is false.
    drragostea,

It's all a matter of how you look at it. As real time active prevention Teatimer has to keep up with the ever increasing number of problems created by the miserable lowlife that produce malware. It has to keep doing more and more, and no matter how smart the coding, sooner or later that will mean using more resources, and/or taking more time. There will be complaints if the software doesn't keep doing more, there will be complaints if it does but uses more resources, and there will be complaints if it does but is slower.

I don't know whether you took part in the beta test of the new version of Teatimer or not, but if you did, you will know that the "conserve memory" mode (which is the default in the new release) was in the area of 40Mb, and that this was and is greatly reduced from the "higher speed at the expense of more memory" which comes in at about 173MB on the three XP machines I have.

The developers of Spybot have a difficult task trying to please users with very different criteria. At one end of the spectrum there are those who for what ever reason have remained with old operating systems with very little memory, and at the other end those who have modern fast platforms with heaps of memory. To be brutally frank, over time the first catagory is gradually dying by attrition, and the latter is moving back to take their place as technology continues to go forward - thats life.

Those with modern equipment rightfully expect performance, and 173MB is really not an issue for them. For those in the middle, with lower but still reasonable amounts of memory, 40MB is also not an issue. I personally think this new version of Teatimer with its ability to be configured in the two different modes, and also with its "caching" of scan results is a real step forward in trying to meet the needs of the widest possible user group.

At the lower end of the equipment range at some stage users have to make a decision - when their equipment is no longer adequate to support the type of software that is needed in todays world, then they either have to replace it, upgrade it, or accept the fact that they can't have all the benefits and features. In this case that may be to use Spybot without Teatimer. It is worth remembering that some other software hasn't bothered to support their end of the spectrum at all.

I fully expect that many will take issue with this post - so be it.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-09 at 16:26.

Exclamation that is true greyfox,

that makes sense. I can see both sides there. Anyway's, anyone have any ideas about what i posted? Ha, I'm not trying to be a nuisance, but ya i am just wondering.

here and here

Thanks

Smile

It seems to me that those who were already using 1.6.0.30 did not get updated to 1.6.0.31 from the downloads - I don't know what the difference is between them. If settings were to show beta items during download Teatimer 1.6.1.22 was offered and installed.

So prior to the download I has 1.6.0.30 with Teatimer 1.6.1.21. Now I have still have 1.6.0.30 but with Teatimer 1.6.1.22.

Last night I downloaded the updates on two PC's for another user who was still using 1.5.0.20, but changed the settings (temporarily) to show betas. Those PC's are both now 1.6.0.31 and 1.6.1.22.

If you change your setting to show beta downloads you should be able to get the latest Teatimer issue - I have no idea how to force an update from 1.6.0.30 to 1.6.0.31

On your balloon problem. The taskbar Teatimer right click menu item to show (or not show) balloons only applies to the "scanning notification balloons". The other info balloons still appear. The way I use to test this quickly on XP is to go to Control panel/Display/ScreenSaver Tab. Change the Screen saver from None to Windows XP (and vice versa). This will cause the Allow Change/Deny change dialoge to come up and when Allow is clicked a ballon will come up confirming the change made as a user decision. This will occur regardless of the setting of the show info balloons.

Hope this helps

Lightbulb thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post

It seems to me that those who were already using 1.6.0.30 did not get updated to 1.6.0.31 from the downloads - I don't know what the difference is between them. If settings were to show beta items during download Teatimer 1.6.1.22 was offered and installed.

So prior to the download I has 1.6.0.30 with Teatimer 1.6.1.21. Now I have still have 1.6.0.30 but with Teatimer 1.6.1.22.

Last night I downloaded the updates on two PC's for another user who was still using 1.5.0.20, but changed the settings (temporarily) to show betas. Those PC's are both now 1.6.0.31 and 1.6.1.22.

If you change your setting to show beta downloads you should be able to get the latest Teatimer issue - I have no idea how to force an update from 1.6.0.30 to 1.6.0.31

On your balloon problem. The taskbar Teatimer right click menu item to show (or not show) balloons only applies to the "scanning notification balloons". The other info balloons still appear. The way I use to test this quickly on XP is to go to Control panel/Display/ScreenSaver Tab. Change the Screen saver from None to Windows XP (and vice versa). This will cause the Allow Change/Deny change dialoge to come up and when Allow is clicked a ballon will come up confirming the change made as a user decision. This will occur regardless of the setting of the show info balloons.

Hope this helps
    For the help. I will try the updater on Wednesday to get the latest beta of teatimer. Maybe that will solve the second issue: But unfortunately, even with your test, (a good way to have teatimer ask a question, thanks.) I again see no indication at all that my change was accepted. This happens on 2 machines. I only see the allow/deny box. There is no hint anything is accepted or denied, i just know what is done because of what i clicked. I get no box, no balloon, nothing. Nothing indicating user decision at all. I don't even get the scanning notification balloons. Nothing. So ya, weird!! I did install the beta teatimer per your directions by the way, maybe updating using the updater on beta mode will solve my teatimer weirdness.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-10 at 04:47.

Greyfox:

I appreciate the response. No further questions, I believe TeaTimer is reasonable enough.

Question

A question - On the PC that doesn't show information balloons, do you have more than one user account, and if so, is there any difference in the balloon situation when running from each user account, and which account were you logged in on when you installed Spybot.?

Lightbulb you mean the both pc's? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post

A question - On the PC that doesn't show information balloons, do you have more than one user account, and if so, is there any difference in the balloon situation when running from each user account, and which account were you logged in on when you installed Spybot.?
    Um, the desktop yes. 3 accounts. 2 limited 1 admin. Laptop only has 1 admin account. I was on the admin account when installing new teatimer on both pc's. And no, there is no difference on other accounts, because teatimer is not set to run on the limited accounts. Thanks for the help, i think if i use the updater on beta updates i can download the newest beta teatimer and then hopefully that will fix the issues.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-10 at 06:34.