Thread: SpyBotSD.exe hangs in processes

Default SpyBotSD.exe hangs in processes

I am running Spybot as a scheduled event and I have noticed that it does not exit completely after it has completed its scan. This would not be much of a problem if it didnt affect Windows but it makes navigating windows a pain because the focus is losted when you click a to bring up a window in the taskbar.

I was originally running 1.5.2 but upgraded to 1.6 to see if it would fix the problem without success. I have not been able to find any information online about it.

The only settings I have changed is the following.

Settings > Settings > Automation > Program start
    - Run check on program start
    - Immunize on program start if program has updated
    - Don't ask for fixing confirmation
    - Wait a few minutes until starting check

Settings > Settings > Automation > Web update
    - Search the web for new versions at each program start.

Settings > Scheduler
    Fix problems after scheduled scan.
    Close program after finishing schedule checked.

These same settings are running on several computers and I have only noticed the process sticking around on two of them. Both machines are completely different from each other.

That's a bit confusing, so let me ask a few questions:

1. How do you define "does not exit completely"? (what do you understand as an incompletely exited application?).

2. "when you click a to bring" < there's a noun missing I thing that could be helpful in understanding.

3. Why do you mix so many different automation methods together? The update for example can be scheduled separately now.

One reason why I can see it not closing would for example be the immunization. Since you don't seem to run it silently, the immunization might warn you about open browsers.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

1. If I open Task Manager SpybotSD.exe is running but there is no visible window or indication it is running.

2. I forgot to put window. When you click to bring up a window from the taskbar it will not appear so long as SpybotSD.exe is running in the processes. I end it and Windows goes back to normal.

3. I find it easier to combine all the tasks together so there is less to manage.

There should not be any browsers running when the task starts. The task is scheduled to run at 4AM in the morning and no one will be using the computer until 6AM. I know for sure the computer I am using is completely logged out when the task runs at 4AM.

I will try unchecking the immunization from the two computers I know are causing a problem and see if it solves the problem.

Well unchecking immunization did not work so I guess I will have to do this the long way and uncheck everyting but the scanning and go from there.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Sekazi:

I suggest that you return the settings within Spybot to the default settings and schedule Spybot to run using command line parameters in the execution command. See the following for a list of command line parameters:

Be sure to include the parameter /silent or /taskbarhide. For a solution to a similar problem see the following thread (in particular post #5):

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

So I should open the scheduled task in Windows Scheduled Tasks and change Spybot's Run?

Right now it is
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX    /AUTOCLOSE
    And put /silent at the end of that command?

sekazi:

Quote Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
    So I should open the scheduled task in Windows Scheduled Tasks and change Spybot's Run?

Right now it is
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX    /AUTOCLOSE
    And put /silent at the end of that command?
    Not quite. Your original post indicated that you altered the settings within Spybot itself to include immunization ("Immunize on program start if program has been updated."). I suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    … that you return the settings within Spybot to the default settings …
    The default setting would be similar to the following:

Automation
    ├─ Program start
    │ ├─ □ Run check on program start.
    │ ├─ □ Fix all problems on program start.
    │ ├─ □ Rerun checks after fixing problems.
    │ ├─ □ Immunize on program start if program has been updated.
    │ ├─ □ Don't ask for fixing confirmation.
    │ ├─ □ Wait a few minutes until starting the check.
    │ ├─ □ Wait until specified programs have quit.
    │ └─ □ Wait a few seconds if something else than spies were found.
    ├─ System start
    │ ├─ ● No automation
    │ ├─ ○ Automatically run program at system startup.
    │ ├─ ○ Run program once at next system startup.
    │ ├─ □ Run check on program start.
    │ ├─ □ Fix all problems on program start.
    │ ├─ □ Wait a few minutes until starting the check.
    │ ├─ □ Wait until specified programs have quit.
    │ ├─ □ Wait a few seconds if something else than spies were found.
    │ └─ □ Close if everything's O.K.
    ├─ Web update
    I then indicated:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    … and schedule Spybot to run using command line parameters in the execution command. See the following for a list of command line parameters:

The problem that you seem to have run into was during immunization and if "… you return the settings within Spybot to the default settings …" as I suggested, you must at least include the parameter "/autoimmunize" and possibly "/autoupdate".

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have reset everything back to default by clicking the "Defaults" button and double checked to see if it was default.

I then deleted the original schedule and made a new one.

After all of that the program will still stay in the processes and never exits.

sekazi:

What command line parameters are you using for the scheduled task?

I set everything back to default to the way Spybot was when first installed.

Scheduled Tasks says it is running
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX   /AUTOCLOSE
    It seems Spybot closed this morning but it will likely stay open tomorrow morning as that is what it has done previously.

It is strange this does not happen on 4 identical computers but happens on completely different computers.