Thread: XP Home With HyperThreading

Question XP Home With HyperThreading

I have a Dell XP Home OS with SP2 and HyperThreading on a Pentium 4 Dual prossesor.

Has anyone had any problems with the Spybot 1.4 version and HyperThreading, and if so what happens?

I have Spybot 1.3 installed and no problems, but I know it won't do what the newer version will detect. I've just read that there have been problems with the newer Spybot 1.4 version and HyperThreading. Does it happen to all HyperThreading OS's?

Should I leave the 1.3 version on this OS?

Thanks for your input!

tonysak

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I would advise you to try to upgrade to Spybot 1.4. HyperThreading problems were encountered in Spybot 1.3 and most were solved with the introduction of Spybot 1.4 with only a few exceptions.

Actually I am surprised that with a HyperThreading processor that you have not encountered a problem using Spybot 1.3.

Keep in mind that the workaround for HyperThreading problems is to limit the Spybot scan to one CPU as follows:
    • Open Spybot, then leave it alone
    • Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    • Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
    • On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    • Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

Also note: If you upgrade to Spybot 1.4 and use TeaTimer be aware of the following:
    • There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
      1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
        Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
        http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
      2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
        • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
        • Uncheck the following:
          • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for answering my question so rapidly!

Do I make that Affinity change just once or each time I use the new Spybot 1.4 for Updating, Scanning, ect.(if I encounter a problem)?

If I have a problem what will it be...Hanging on Update or Scanning?

Thanks again for your help!

tonysak

Esteemed Member

The problem is rare, probably due to BIOS or other hardware issues, and manifests as hanging randomly during a scan.

The fix mentioned is temporary, but will prove whether the problem is really HyperThreading, since the hanging will stop.

If you should have this rare issue, I have proven a semi-permanent fix with someone else, so just let us know and we'll point you at it.

Thanks, I'll uninstall the 1.3 and install the 1.4 version and let you know if I have this problrem.

Thanks again!

Default me too!!!

I also have a pentuim 4 hyperthreading processor and spybot would intermittently hang. I used the temp workaraound and it now works. can you tell me what is the semi permanent workaround you have for this
    thanks
    JPF