Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After scan reboot returns c:\windows\system32\command.com the parameter is incorrect

Default Spybot restart problem

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here but I've used Spybot for some time now. My problem seems to be that I had the same issue as the OP but a few places suggested running a windows xp disk and repairing the OS. I went to the correct repair setup(the second repair option) and during the installation the same, "C:WINDOWS\system32\command.com The Parameter is incorrect." message again.

I tried to log in under safe mode and got a message saying "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now."

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. If I'm hijacking this thread, I'm really sorry. I weighed posting here against my other option, posting a new thread and came to the conclusion putting it here would be ok. I'll move it immediately if need be.

Sorry to hijack this but I had the same problem ....yodamas cure worked perfectly but I ran spybot 2 times & had to go thru the "cure" both times.......any idea why this is happening??

I think that md usa spybot fans did diagnose the symptoms of this issue correctly.
    But there appears to be an issue with the command.com and/or the cmd.exe on the affected computers.

Let's try another approach to eliminate the symptoms of this issue:
    • boot the computer normally
    • when the first error messages about the command.com appear open the taskmanager with ctrl+alt+del and then choosing the taskmanager
    • terminate the explorer.exe
    • then choose file - new task
    • enter the path to Spybot S&D (default: c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe) to start Spybot S&D
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - system startup
    • click the export button and save the startup report file to a location you can easily find later
    • remove all Spybotdelete entries from the startup list
    • within Spybot S&D (Processlist) terminate the remaining instances of command.com and cmd.exe (ntvdm.exe) and close the error message windows if they are still present ( you can mark multiple entries while holding the shift and/or ctrl key and terminate them together)
    • from the Taskmanager choose File - new task and enter explorer to restart the explorer
    • attach the startup report file you saved ealier to your next post

We will require the startup report file to diagnose the cause of this issue. We may also require a complete log file later.[/QUOTE]

Default Worked Brilliantly.

Thanks Yodama, like many others I tried your directions and my computer restarted just fine. I wanted to attach the startup report file to see if you have any advice, however file size exceeds the limit.

Default command.com file problem

Hi, the fix suggested by Yodama for command.com problem is working so far but as my friends machine has never had any anti virus or spy ware for years (!) - there are several thousand entries in the System Startup page that will not delete.
    I isolated all the files so that the 'spybotdelete' entries are checked (as per instructions), but clicking on the delete button does not remove any, despite waiting for half an hour to give it time to dispose of it all. However, they do delete one by one when highlighted and clicking on the delete button. They will not multiple select or respond to the 'delete' key as such.
    Any suggestions? I would be here for days doing them one by one!

cheers and thanks for a great service.

manvantara

Hey, i still got a problem with that solution you got there.
    how everytime i close my Spybot down after ive deleted every Command.com & Cmd.exe they just keep comming back.

thats the thing i dont understand.

Default Same idea, different fix

Quote Originally Posted by manvantara View Post
    there are several thousand entries in the System Startup page that will not delete.
    I verified that I had the same problem, saw that the entries were legit, but should have been cmd.exe instead of command.exe and cmd.com.

From task manager: File, Run, cmd, cd \windows\system32, copy cmd.exe command.exe, copy cmd.exe cmd.com, exit, close task manager, click OK to the error message...fixed and can't happen again

Please help me! If I turn on my pc, black windows appear on the screen called c:\windows\system32\command.com
    I followed this but:
    # boot the computer normally
    # when the first error messages (they aren't error messages, they're black windows, also if I wait them the pc freeze) about the command.com appear open the taskmanager with ctrl+alt+del and then choosing the taskmanager
    # terminate the explorer.exe
    # then choose file - new task
    # enter the path to Spybot S&D (default: c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe) to start Spybot S&D --> This directory doesn't exist, so I wrote c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDmain.exe(or something like that)... however the pc freeze...
    Also, If I start with safe mode it crashes.
    Last edited by Metaslash; 2009-09-13 at 20:49.

Default Parameter is incorrect error

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    hello,

I think that md usa spybot fans did diagnose the symptoms of this issue correctly.
    But there appears to be an issue with the command.com and/or the cmd.exe on the affected computers.

Let's try another approach to eliminate the symptoms of this issue:
    • boot the computer normally
    • when the first error messages about the command.com appear open the taskmanager with ctrl+alt+del and then choosing the taskmanager
    • terminate the explorer.exe
    • then choose file - new task
    • enter the path to Spybot S&D (default: c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe) to start Spybot S&D
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - system startup
    • click the export button and save the startup report file to a location you can easily find later
    • remove all Spybotdelete entries from the startup list
    • within Spybot S&D (Processlist) terminate the remaining instances of command.com and cmd.exe (ntvdm.exe) and close the error message windows if they are still present ( you can mark multiple entries while holding the shift and/or ctrl key and terminate them together)
    • from the Taskmanager choose File - new task and enter explorer to restart the explorer
    • attach the startup report file you saved ealier to your next post

We will require the startup report file to diagnose the cause of this issue. We may also require a complete log file later.
    I followed this routine to fix and it worked fine. The only problem was that I had thousands of entries to delete which I had to do one by one. This took almost three hours. It would be useful to enable Shift and Ctrl to be able to select all and delete them in one step.

Here the startup report attached. OOPS the report is too large.
    Nathan

Default need help right away.

i am also having this problem however i am having this problem on my eee pc mini lap top, that runs windows xp. i can not go into safe mode, and i have tried loading task manger when the error message first appears and nothing. meaning task manger wont load. what do i do now? i need to get back on my lap top ASAP i have college projects saved on there that i need to get at right way and i cant. i need help please.

Default Similar problem- but not able to follow Yoda instructions

I have a similar problem, I see just my wallpaper and one recusively called c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe command window.

After much ctrl-alt-del I managed to start Task Manager however:

1) there are around 300 copies of cmd.exe running
    2) Attempting to stop the explorer process (as requested in your fix) is met with only a "klunk" sound.(so at least my sound driver is working :-)

3) Clicking the "File" (or any other) menu in task manager is met with a different "ping" type sound but no visible effect. Eventually the menus stop appearing altogether!

4) In the open command window, I can DIR directories, CD, and even see a USB flash drive, but attempting to use the START command, XCOPY or run any other kind of program (eg SDMain.exe) results in the Klunk

5) If I boot in Safe mode it hangs at mup.sys.

6) attempting to close the command window creates many ^C characters in the window, it closes and immdiately restarts another one.

However: Having tried the above, I seem to have it cracked by doing the following:

a) Hold down Ctrl-C and Keep it down!
    b) With your mouse keep hitting the close box on each cmd-like window that appears.... keep doing that for a few minutes until they ALL go... If you tire early, and don't get the last one, it will instantly fire off another 300 or so! (I didnt have to kill 300, most seemed to go away as I killed the first one)

At this point Spybot suddenly appeared and started checking! I don't know however if this was as a result of my attempting to start it from the command window, or whether it would have done that anyway! It remains to be seen whether this eventually resolves the problem.