Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: spybot install

First of all, I downloaded ZA from an 'old versions' site and chose 5.5.094 which I had used for quite some time in the past and it was free. So I thought it was free & ok to choose that one as none of them said 'pro'. When the install went thro' it turned out to be ZA pro 5.5.094 and a 15 day trial.
    Don't think I can upgrade to the latest version as it won't support Win. ME.

How & where can I get the setup installer for version 5.5.094 free??

That little blinking thing - it is not the red and green bars you see showing activity, it is like a little red beacon that blinks on the right side of the ZA icon. Hope I have explained this ok.

I went to prog. ctrl and moved the slider to 'lo' and these are the responses to the update request.

Spywareblaster - "cannot establish a connection to download"

Spybot - "Error retrieving update info file.

ClamWin - ClamAV update process started at Sat Aug 02 01:00:16 2008
    WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
    Reading CVD header (main.cvd): ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: Host not found
    WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from database.clamav.net (IP: )
    Giving up on database.clamav.net...
    Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in freshclam.conf is working.

Zenobia: Sorry, I don't understand 'get the updates manually'. In spybot, I click 'check for updates' - is this not checking manually?

Would dearly love to resolve this mess as I will be going away on Monday.
    Thanks loads.

When updating using Spybot isn't working,then you can go to the Spybot site,and click the detection updates,so you can update Spybot.
    Go here:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    And click on the detection updates,so that you can update Spybot.You will see them as this,for this weeks detection updates:
    Detection updates 2008-07-30 - product description

md5: 65C6FBFDE9EF6D25CD8084F62837FE90

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D
    Just download and run the file...it should be self-installing.

Not familiar with Zone Alarm anymore,but is it possible something called an Automatic Lock is enabled?

Lightbulb ether that.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Not familiar with Zone Alarm anymore,but is it possible something called an Automatic Lock is enabled?
    or the network is down. You can try reseting your router/modem if you have high speed.

Default spybot install

Zenobia: Thanks. I got the updates like you said, but when I immunized, there 1100 unprotected:

Software (domains) 220
    Software (secure domains) 220
    Default (domains) 220
    Default (secure domains) 220
    Global (Hosts) 220

There seems to be something really wrong going on.

Can you please offer any help. Thanks.

Thanks 12960 for your reply. Unfortunately, I really am not familar with modems (which I have). The network couldn't be down, because I can get on the internet. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 2008-08-03 at 03:29.

there are still 1100 unprotected AFTER you immunized?
    did you say you were running firefox
    if so you can uncheck a couple of these- which ones folks?
    are you runnining another Hosts loader such as MVPS or HPHOSTS?

I run ZoneAlarm version:6.1.744.001 on several 98-ME computers

go to MODE>ADVANCED>TOOLS>HOSTS
    remove the HOSTS and add it back
    re immunize
    still missing some?

Downloading manually is going to the safernetworking site and downloading the complete file as shown in the other post
    Did you get spybot updated since Wednesday- if so and run a scan, post log

are you only running ONE AV?
    have you run others? which ones including any pre-installed?

can you get your AV updated and run a scan or run an on line scan
    F-Protect, Kaspersky, Bit Defender?
    do not delete/remove just quarantine any hits

you can try DrWEB
    even download to another computer and transfer with CD or USB stick

so many possibilities
    programs
    other protection
    bad stuff

If you cannot get spybot or your av to run post back here ASAP
    Last edited by wyrmrider; 2008-08-03 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    How & where can I get the setup installer for version 5.5.094 free??
    I believe FileHippo offers 'old' or dated versions of ZoneAlarm. In this case it is free . If wyrmrider is correct, what would be better is version 6.x.xxx of ZoneAlarm for your Windows ME.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/106/
    --

I think Zenobia meant the Internet Lock (stops all Internet traffic).

Cimarron, can you Undo the immunization and Redo (Immunize) again? If the problem persists, then I conclude that the user has not received all the updates because the most current detection updates does not include all the updates in the past. I think this includes the Immunization update (Spybot updater, which the user is lacking due to the error message).

All right,this is all I've gathered and what I can decipher on ZA.I skimmed the posts above,but I didn''t read them thoroughly,so sorry if I repost something you have posted already.

I've always understood it to be that the Zone Alarm Pro version reverted to Zone Alarm free after the free trial.

This page is about the end of support for Windows 98/ME users with the introduction of 6.5 and up.It does say that pre-6.5 will continue to run on Windows 98/ME,but there may be some limitations:
    http://zonelabs.com/store/support/win98MEusers.jsp
    A higher version number might be better if available,though you shouldn't go above 6.5.
    Link to oldversion.com zone alarm firewalls are here:
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm
    I believe they are the free version,though I'm not entirely sure.

As to the problems with the current Zone Alarm you have,I am looking at a .pdf file with instructions for Zone Alarm.Not sure which version it covers,but it includes instructions on what to do if your applications cannot access the internet.It's under troubleshoot->Network and Program help,scroll down to Applications Not Working.
    The link for the .pdf file is here,if you would like to have a look:
    http://www.cogeco.com/files/pdf/inte...rguides/za.pdf
    If you prefer not to download a .pdf file,it is available to be viewed as html:
    http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=ca

Yes,undoing and then redoing the immunization might be worth a shot.Before you do,check to see if the hosts file is locked,if your version of Zone Alarm includes that feature.The instructions might vary between versions,but go to Firewall on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it.If there is a check beside lock hosts file,temporarily uncheck it.Open Spybot,then undo/redo immunization.You can relock the hosts file afterwards,if you want too.
    This might help immunize global hosts.This won't help with the other things to immunize,but let me know if the others items immunize after undoing/redoing immunization,please.

Thanks for helping me,everyone,but let's try to take it a bit slower.No asking for spybot logs etc. just yet,please.One step at a time.

Default spybot install

Thanks Zenobia, I undid immunize and redid it and finally got zero unprotected, tho' had to go to spywareblaster and reprotect. Spybot still not updating, nor anything else. Oh, and the internet lock is not on in ZA.

Thanks for the site - I downloaded ZA 6.1.744 for when that pro version expires. Funny, when I was using 5.5.094 free way back when, they wouldn't let me upgrade to a 6 version because ME wasn't supported by MS. Hope it goes smoothly.

Haven't had a chance to run all the scans yet, but Bit Defender couldn't update either.
    Checked with my ISP provider tech service and they seem sure it isn't any settings causing the updating problems!!

Have only tomorrow before we leave on vacation, so if this isn't resolved by then, will have to put this on hold till we get back.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and help.

Glad the immunization problem is over with... but I honestly don't know what is happening with the problem on not being able to update.