Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disable warning about temporary files

Angry disable warning about temporary files

How can I disable this annoying warning about termporary files?

Why the "yes" button is selected by default?

Hello,

1. If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.

To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\

Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used. Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\

If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning":

Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

2. Because the scan will be much faster without temp files.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

darvo:

Besides disabling the function you can set the threshold of the number of temporary files that are needed to be present on your system before the message is triggered as well as the time before the messages automatically defaults to cleaning those temporary files.

Please see the original documentation for this and other registry tweaks is in wiki.spybot.info at this URL:

The items are:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

1. If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.

To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\

Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used. Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\

If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning":

Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

2. Because the scan will be much faster without temp files.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    I'm not sure I can say "No" in strong enough words to this. If you are on "Team Spybot" I either assume you are part of the development team or have important enough contact with them. I can say emphatically that not only should you not have to manipulate the registry to turn this off, but it should be an option that shouldn't be on by default. I don't see how you can seriously both have a page like this and run one of the foremost anti-spyware programs (among both free and not) yet have an automatic 'file-deleter' (however innocuous the files it deletes) on a timer run at every program start up with no option to disable that doesn't involve editing the registry entry directly.

Are you people trying to destroy your reputation like Lavasoft with Ad-aware 2007+? This is a step backwards for any program, especially an anti-spyware program. Not to mention wholly hypocritical and suspicious.
    Last edited by Cartigan; 2008-08-21 at 04:02.

why not have a setting in spybot to change it instead?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    i forgot about that post but i have read it.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-21 at 16:11.

I just updated to Spybot 1.6.0. When restarting after the update, this request to delete files in the Temp dir appeared, defaulted to yes, and deleted all the files in Temp after ~15 seconds.

The Temp directory contains, besides lots of other files, also logs for Windows Update installs, other install logs (for example Sun Java) and other install files needed occasionally if one wants do deinstall programs.

A program should not be allowed to delete files on the user's machine without the user's consent. The popup should not default to Yes, nor, especially, do it automatically after such a short timeout.

I had a look at the proposed change mentioned in http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278. I see the change scheduled for release 1.9. This is also not acceptable. The behaviour should be changed as soon as possible.

I repeat. The popup requesting to delete all files in the TEMP directory should default to NO, or, as a minimum, should not have a timer associated with the YES response.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gubydal View Post
    ....The Temp directory contains, besides lots of other files, also logs for Windows Update installs, other install logs (for example Sun Java) and other install files needed occasionally if one wants do deinstall programs.
    gubydal,

The temporary files Spybot refers to are those contained in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\temp, and C:\Windows\temp.

I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but I also don't know any version of Windows that stores Windows Update logs or any uninstall information in either of those places.

Those two locations are intended for transitory use but over time can accumulate left over or orphaned files. It is good housekeeping to keep them cleaned out and if you do, you won't ever see this reminder from Spybot.

i had a map with 219 files or so in C:\Windows\temp. why couldnt spybot delete them? i was able to delete them myself. the message from spybot doesnt appear anymore when i deleted them.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-25 at 16:11.