Thread: SmitFraudFix Question

Default SmitFraudFix Question

Of course there are copies of SmitFraudFix.exe that are just viruses so how do I get a for-sure clean copy? Also it apparently has behavior similar to a Trojan (I guess) and leaves fingerprints all over the place. That freaks out AV scanners and you sometimes lose half your software. Indeed does it do anything that is undesirable. Thanx. Hank

Emeritus-Security Expert

Hello Hank

Welcome to Safer Networking.

Please read Before You Post
    That said, All advice given by anyone volunteering here, is taken at your own risk.
    While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen.
    It is advisable that you back up your personal data before starting any clean up procedure.

Not all but most virus scanners will flag Smitfraudfix.exe as malicious because of the name and .exe file extension. If you download it directly from a link in this forum or any of the well known malware removal forums the program will be safe. Keep in mind, all these forums are dedicated to helping the public remove malicious software from there systems and helping to educate them to prevent infection in the future.

Smitfraudfix does not install, it just runs from your desktop and scans your system and removes infected files.

Why do you need this tool??? What makes you think your infected with Smitfraud. Post a Hijackthis log and lets see if your infected with anything.

Download Trendmicros Hijackthis to your desktop.
    • Double click it to install
    • Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe
    • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
    • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
    • Go to Edit> Select All.....Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Post Reply and not start a New Thread.

DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    Last edited by ken545; 2008-11-02 at 14:06.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Default Appreciate...

I appreciate the offer but Norma from Spybot crew went through my Hijack scan and with some hard work and sticking to it I'm pretty sure I'm clean now. I run SmitFraud every couple of weeks as prophylactic and try to keep up with the issues at hand. I caught a bad one from a DL at Guru3D a week or so ago but Normas' schooling had me ready to do battle. Keep up the good work.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Hi,

Smitfraudfix is not a general all purpose cleaning tool, it should only be run in the event your infected with Smitfraud.

I can tell by what your posting that your really not up on the latest infections and the tools that are needed to remove them and you don't seem to sure if your clean or not.

Your call to post a log, if you decide not to I will close this thread.

Ken
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.