Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about unremovable temp files

Default Question about unremovable temp files

I get Spybot to clean my temp files every time I use it, but it can never remove certain files, says they are in use, and I apparenty have over 200 of them. The ones it can't remove appear to be "wwwXX.tmp" files, such as "wwwA1.tmp", "www97.tmp", or "wwwAB.tmp". I seem to get an additional one of these unremovable files everytime the computer starts. My computer seems to be clean and working fine, but I was curious if anyone knew what creates and uses these temp files.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

monkeys:

Quote Originally Posted by monkeys View Post
    … but I was curious if anyone knew what creates and uses these temp files.
    Actually I don't the foggiest idea, but you should be able to find out.

What Windows OS are you running?

The following is based on Windows XP and may not be totally be applicable to another Windows OS.

When files are being used, a handle (pointer) is created. These handles can be interrogated to determine what process is using a file. One program that can interrogate these handles is:

To find out what process is using one of these "wwwXX.tmp" files:
    • Download Process Explorer:
      • The direct download URL is:
      • Unzip/extract the content of ProcessExplorer.zip to a known location.
        • Right click on the downloaded ProcessExplorer.zip file.
        • Select "Extract All...",
        • Use the "Extraction Wizard" to extract the files from the ProcessExplorer.zip file.
          • Eula.txt
          • procexp.chm
          • procexp.exe
    • Find one of the wwwXX.tmp files that is in use:
      • Go into Start » Run » type "%temp%" (no quotes) » click "OK" (that action should bring up a Windows Explorer window listing the temporary files stored on your system).
      • In Windows Explorer:
        • Right click on one of the "wwwXX.tmp" files.
        • Select "Open with…".
        • Chose "NotePad" for the program to open the "wwwXX.tmp" file with:
          • You are actually looking for a "wwwXX.tmp" file that you can not open because of a message indicating:
            Notepad

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

[OK]
          • If the file opens with "NotePad" attempt to open other "wwwXX.tmp" file until you find one that can not be opened "... because it is being used by another process".
    • Determining the process using the file:
      • Start Process Explorer (procexp.exe).
      • Go to the "Find" menu and select "Find Handle or DLL…".
      • Enter the name of the "wwwXX.tmp" file that you determined was in use in the "Handle or DLL substring" and then click the "Search" button.
      • If the file is still in use, you should be able to determine the process using the file.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Strange, none of them seem to be in use when I open them with Notepad, and nothing seems to come up when I search for them with Process Explorer. When I open them with Notepad, they all seem to say:

[InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    Last edited by monkeys; 2008-08-22 at 06:46.

Smile

Strange, none of them seem to be in use when I open them with Notepad, and nothing seems to come up when I search for them with Process Explorer. When I open them with Notepad, they all seem to say:

[InternetShortcut]
    Were you by any chance starting Spybot with your browser open when you got the can't delete - in use message in relation to the temporary files. If so try it with the browser closed.

No browser open, still says they are in use and cannot be removed.

I have the same problem even with all programmes closed

how is it possible that temp files are in use all the time? because they shouldnt. i have 219 files that i cant remove with spybot.

Smile

[InternetShortcut]
    That would appear to be a "favorites" entry. Are these files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\local settings\temp folder, or in a subfolder below the temp folder in that path, or are they in C:\Windows\Temp or a sub folder below the temp folder in this path.

What operating system is this occurring on, what Service pack and what is the browser version that you are using.

Ron M and Blues, you say you have the same problem. Are your files the same type as monkeys, and can you provide answers to the questions above?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    That would appear to be a "favorites" entry. Are these files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\local settings\temp folder, or in a subfolder below the temp folder in that path, or are they in C:\Windows\Temp or a sub folder below the temp folder in this path.

What operating system is this occurring on, what Service pack and what is the browser version that you are using.

Ron M and Blues, you say you have the same problem. Are your files the same type as monkeys, and can you provide answers to the questions above?
    They're in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp, Windows XP Service Pack 2 and my browsers are Internet Explorer 7/Firefox 3.

Smile

Monkeys,

Did you try the last paragraph in md usa spybot fan's post about determining the process using the file. Just pick any of the wwwXX.tmp files.

* Start Process Explorer (procexp.exe).
    * Go to the "Find" menu and select "Find Handle or DLL…".
    * Enter the name of the "wwwXX.tmp" file in the "Handle or DLL substring" and then click the "Search" button.
    * If the file is still in use, you should be able to determine the process using the file.

Can you try:-

(a) Go into Spybot, and with it in Advanced mode, click on settings, then settings again, then scroll down through the settings screen until you find the System Start group. Click on "Run program once at next system startup", then exit Spybot and reboot. Spybot will start up early in the bootup sequence (once off setting). Please let us know whether it still thinks all the files are in use.

(b) If that doesn't work, have you tried booting into safe mode and seeing whether you can manually delete one of the wwwXX.tmp files. In XP the files in this location should not be critical ones and so should be able to be deleted without problems, however it may be a good idea to take small steps.