Thread: Spybot 1.6 locking user registry hives

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Madeline,

But my main (old) user account (which has 1.42 GB of important data) still won't let me open any files or programs.
    Does this mean that when you log into the old account it is creating a temporary profile or you are able to log in without Windows creating a temporary profile and you can not access files or programs?

All of these folders contained different folders, and I'm wondering if the PE_C keys might be somewhere inside one of those?
    No the PE_C keys are located at the same level as .DEFAULT and the other S-15- keys. So if you did not see any then your account(s) should not be locked.

If you adjust the registry using one (administrative) User account, does the change apply to all other user accounts on the computer?
    That depends on which section of the registy you are changing. The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are used by all accounts on the machine. HKEY_CURRENT_USER only applies to the account that is current logged in. In HKEY_USERS each folder applies to to a different account.

I'm wondering if Uninstalling Spybot might help, although I'm reluctant to do that, but I'm getting desperate. Also, what about AVG Free 8.0, maybe I should uninstall that?
    No uninstalling Spybot and AVG will not solve your problem. Please let me no the answer to my first question about can you log in to your old account or is it creating a temporary profile when you try to login. With this answer I can help you proceed.

The link to the latest beta version is here 1.6.1.37 is here http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=37
    This version will keep the accounts from ever getting locked but will not solve your immediate problem of getting you old account going.
    Last edited by MrGreg; 2008-11-01 at 01:37.