Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Installing Spybot 1.6

Default Problems Installing Spybot 1.6

My brother downloaded the new Spybot and I copied the installation exe onto my computer; last night when I tried to run it it didn't work. When I double click the exe I can see a Spybot box appear then quickly disappear from the STart bar; along with an error sound(the chime that Windows does when an error box appears). The only problem is that no box appears or anything. So I double click to run it and hear the "ding" and nothing happens. Hope I explained that clearly.

I have all of my previously installed Spybots removed; and I even re-downloaded Spybot straight from Safer Networking with the same results.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction about what to do; or at least fill me in on why it might not be working? I really don't want to have to stop using Spybot because of this. Thanks in advance.

Have you been having any malware-type problems?

I'm having the same problem after formatting and reinstalling windows XP. I've tried both 1.5.2 and 1.6. They both are acting the same way. The box with the loading bars shows up for less than 2 seconds and disappears. Nothing else happens.

As for malware, I truly doubt that I have any. Plus, I have used Spybot S&D before. Both versions in the last month.

Smile

OffspringPhreak, Muramune99

When you refer to the Spybot installation file I assume you mean Spybotsd160.exe. You could try obtaining the md5 hash value for this file as it is on your PC and compare it to the one published (md5: 0E7FBF50F87B3B7C384A2471154A7558) to ensure your installation file is not corrupted.

Assuming it is OK, you could then try renaming the file to something like "my160.exe". If it then installs I would suspect your PC is infected.

What operating system do each of you have and what service pack. There was a problem with XP where if an attempt was made to install SP3 and it failed, it did not revert back completely, and there were then subsequent problems with installation of some programs.

My mistake guys; I must have had a brainfart because it didn't occur to me to disable my XP Theme. I noticed a few other programs that I already had installed were doing the same thing. I disabled the theme I had activated and now Spybot works the way it should. Sorry, guess I should have thought about it more before making a thread about it.

Thanks to all for the advice; I also hope that Muramune99 gets their problem straightened out.

Glad you got Spybot running.

Default Spybot- Search and Destroy has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program.

Ive had spybot for years, never had this problem. Its been running on this windows vista for 6 months then yesterday, it stopped.

I downloaded a microsoft add-on for emails. Is that the problem

Default Spybot after install appears to start than vanishes

Hi,

I have been setting up a Laptop for the Kids (WxP with SP3). This is a "clean build" i.e. no Malware etc. but of course with lots of other SW. After installing Spybot S&D (V1.6.2) and trying to start it, I get the little pop-up window with the progress bar (Loading Spybot.....) and it quickly vansihes. Sometimes trying to start (either via Desktop Icon or Program Menu) it doesn't even do that. In the Task List it also does not show up. Any ideas here?

I have deinstalled/reinstalled Spybot countless times with different variations (other Languages, Older Versions back as far as V1.2) with the same Symptom. I also check to ensure the folder under Program Files is completely deleted after a deinstall and use RegCleaner to ensure all Registry Entries are removed prior to another install attempt. All other SW including Service Packs installed without a hitch. I'm also using IE V7 that show that Spybot is integrated into the Browser on the install. Only it doesn't start for me.

The only unique thing at the end of the "clean build" process I did was to rename the drive letter on my 2nd Disk Partition to move this ahead of my DVD Player (i.e. Hard Disk is C, D then DVD PLayer as E). A couple "older programs" needed to be reinstalled to get them working after the driver letter change. All SW works on this "clean build" without any problem, except Spybot. Despite the fact this is a clean build, and the Registry has been "cleaned", could the driver letter change still have something to do with this? I am not sure but I seem to think that during the build I tried Spybot out very briefly sometime prior to the Drive Letter change and it was ok (atleast thats my recollection), but now for the life of me, this is the only piece of SW that I just can't get to work.

Any Ideas here? It seems from the Forum I am not the only one with a similar problem. I also tried from the FAQ sheet to use some utility to remove the config ini files, and some utility to remove a WWWCool etc. malware......all to no avail.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestion. Thanks in advance,,

Could you try running Spybot while you are in safe mode,and let me know what happens?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02

Thumbs up

Hi,

Just an update & resolution to my problem in case it helps anyone else.

I resorted to one of several "backups" that I performed during my new SW build of WxP Pro. The one backup I reinstalled with SP3 still functioned with SpyBot. This was with INternet Explorer V6. What I noticed was after installation of different Software Apps, Spybot still functioned until I ended up upgraded IE from V6 to V7.

Afterwards the symptoms returned...Spybot would try to start, I would get the "loading progress bar" and then it would quickly disappear into Nirvana. And just would never load. Looking into the Task/Processes, it seemed to be hoarding tons of memory and then quickly end.

The major problem here is, even after a deinstall of Spybot, Cleaning all found/possible registry entries, deleting any left over folders in Program Files or Document & Settings and then reinstalling Spybot, it just will not work ....always the same symptoms. Conclusion is, there seems to be some hidden settings/entries in IE6 when after upgrading to IE7 that will not allow you to completely deinstall Spybot and you are in a catch-22 situation.

My workaround was (after yet again reinstalling a backup) was to deinstall SpyBot BEFORE upgrading from IE6 to IE7, and then installing Spybot again afterwards. Since then I have finished the build of my Kids PC with lots of SW and SpyBot is still functioning okay.

This problem is absolutely "reproduceable" and being that I was working with clean SW, I assume other people would run into the same issue. Of course it is always a "combination" of things & config (WxP, with SP3 with IE6 etc.) why one person sees a bug and others don't.

Anyhow, I hope this may help someone with the same symptoms,