Thread: Winlogon notifiers - autocheck au - no option to Deny

Default Winlogon notifiers - autocheck au - no option to Deny

I got a pop-up from Spybot S&D
    Category: Winlogon notifiers
    Change: Value Detected

Entry autocheck au

Nothing in Old Data or New Data and no Option to Deny Change

Should I allow it?

I also got a similar one with crypt32chain - and I understand that this is O.K. as long as it is not crypt32chain.dll - but again I had no option to deny it

I have not taken any action yet.
    Please advise.

Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

h2377:

Quote Originally Posted by h2377 View Post

Change: Value Detected

Are you sure the message says "Change: Value Detected"?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I am so sorry and I feel like a complete idiot.

It said "Value Deleted" - it was too early in the morning for me.

Sorry again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

h2377:

When a change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring the change has actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that there has been a change to a monitored registry key it:
    1. Checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a notification of the action it took.
    2. Issues a popup dialog to allows you to decide if you want to allow the registry change or reverse the change.
    If you answer the popup dialog "Allow change" nothing is done to the registry. If you do a "Deny change" the change the registry change is reversed (backed out). If you check the "Remember this decision" option while answering this pop-up dialog, Spybot stores the information for that change so that similar changes in the future will be handled automatically by either applying the "Allow change" or "Deny change" option. After you answer the pop-up dialog TeaTimer issues a notification of the action you took.

During some changes the "Deny change" option is grayed out (not an option). This is speculation but I assume that the "Deny change" is grayed out because by the time TeaTimer recognizes the registry change the underlying code for BHOs, ActiveXs control or in you case Winlogon Notifier has been deleted and therefore denying the change would do no good to reverse those particular types of changes from being deleted and just leave an orphaned registry entry. In those cases the registry change dialog serves as a warning that something has changed.[/list]
    In other words you have no option but to do an "Allow change".

I am not familiar with an entry in the following registry key with a name of "autocheck au":
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify]
    The important factor in trying to determining what that registry change involved is to try to relate the change to what was happening in your system when the change occurred. What were you doing when you received the registry change dialog?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I saw this on my laptop this morning - I don't remember if it was after a reboot or not - could have been after I rebooted it.