Thread: A summary of the "install Spybot computer shuts down" problem

Exclamation A summary of the "install Spybot computer shuts down" problem

I see that the original thread is 9 pages long now and with all I've read on the internet and this site this morning, my head is swimming. Obviously this is a problem. Could Spybot please list the fixes in the order of most likely to help? These long "enter stuff into the registry" ones are way beyond my pea-brain and the "make a special disk using multiple programs using two CD burners" is too hard to follow. Please summarize the fixes or give us a download fix or something! Above all, don't just link us to previous threads - like I want to read a 8 page thread to find out which advice in it you are referring to before I return to a 9 page thread.

LIFE SHOULD BE SIMPLE - SO SHOULD GETTING RID OF SPYWARE

And if there is a program I need to go buy at Staples that works JUST TELL ME. I didn't look forward to my vacation all year just to deal with this.
    Last edited by lisasonrisa; 2008-08-30 at 17:39.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lisasonrisa

It would be helpful if described the problem you are having.

The only time I recall someone mentioning purchasing a program at Staples in a nine page thread was in this thread:

That thread primarily dealt with problems encountered with the detection of HellzLittleSpy after the 2008-07-02 updates if you were running old versions of Spybot (Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4). That problem caused users to be logged off immediately after they logged on to the system. It did not cause the system to shut down.

From the title of your thread, 'A summary of the "install Spybot computer shuts down" problem', I am not sure if that is the problem you are referring to or not.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. After reading the threads here regarding this problem, with numerous fixes recommended, it would be obvious what the problem is.

I downloaded the new version of Spybot last night. This morning, when I urgently need my computer, it boots up, then shuts down to the blue welcome screen with a log in icon (that I never used before) clicking that icon also causes the computer to shut down to the blue screen. There is a "turn off" icon at the bottom that is the only way to go anywhere else.

No I cannot do anything else with it. I have F2'd it and F12'd it and F6'd trying to get in as administrator, all of this according to all the instructions I can find. No, I cannot get it to do anything but boot up and shut down. No it is not overheated. No there are not pre-existing problems. Yes I have the restore disk, but no I cannot wipe out all the files on my computer.

Yes this is the stuck in Windows loop thread redux. That thread is so long and confusing and full of suggestions, I just thought that maybe by now you could cut to the chase and tell me what to do.