Thread: Spybot 1.6.0.30 slows windows explorer and internet explorer

Default Spybot 1.6.0.30 slows windows explorer and internet explorer

Been using Spybot for a very long time, maybe over 3 years.

Just an hour ago, while doing a routine check, my av, AVG 8, discovered some sort of trojan (I think it's a false alarm, since it came from the homepages of some very reliable sites) and I decided to do a full scan, just to make sure.

Anyway, after the scan was done and the ,,infected,, files were removed (they were just some IE temp files), I thought to also run a full scan with Spybot, just to be on the safe side, since I was on a couple of unreliable sites in the past week.

As usual, I first updated Spybot, hoping for some new definitions, but I saw a new version had come out, 1.6, so I updated from 1.5 to 1.6.

After the restart, the computer just became, how should I put this, unusually slow.

Windows Explorer takes 1-3 seconds to open/enter a different directory (no difference moving up or down in the files), compared to instantaneous before.

Internet explorer just froze if I tried opening multiple sites.

I noticed that if I tried opening more than one site at a time, IE would take up a whole processor core in the process, so I had 50% CPU load, which would translate in 100 CPU on a single core rig.

Also, when browsing files with Windows explorer, I noticed similar spikes in CPU usage, to 50% usually, but only for the 1-3 seconds need to enter the new folder.

Uninstalling Spybot 1.6 solved the problems. Installing it again, fresh, brought the problem back.

It's clearly a problem with Spybot to me.

My rig is a Dell Inspiron 1520, C2DUO at 1.8 GHZ, 2GB of RAM, NV 8600 GT and I use a broadband internet connection which goes to about 20 Mbps, so a hardware problem is excluded.

Just finished a Spybot full scan, not threats detected. AVG reports no problems as well.

I also tried to eliminate resident protection (Tea Timer, which wasn't active anyway and IE protection which was active) with no change.

I just thought I should bring this to your attention, since this is clearly some sort of bug/problem/conflict with Spybot 1.6.

Waiting for an answer as soon as possible, since I don't want to give up using Spybot.

Smile

morpheusdj,

See if this helps
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32763