Thread: Update Error

Default Update Error

Howdy All.... New guy here with his first post on this forum. I'm a frequent poster on various other forums in both getting help for myself and providing help to others.

Now to my question. I've been using Spybot S&D for many years with both my old PC running Win98SE and my Dell 1501 laptop running XP Home. Never had any problems until I updated to v1.6.0. Did both my laptop and my brother-in-laws desktop (also running XP Home). After install of v1.6.0 and tried to run update, I get an error window that says " Error retrieving update info file". Checked the proxy settings and all is as should be.

Any opinions, ideas or known fixes would be much appreciated.

Raybro

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Raybro:

Versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 updated using SpybotSD.exe. Spybot 1.5 and above use SDUpdate.exe for updating.

Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet via any firewalls/routers you have in place. Check to make sure that your, and your brother-in-law's, firewalls allow access to the internet through the firewalls for SDUpdate.exe.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Raybro:

Versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 updated using SpybotSD.exe. Spybot 1.5 and above use SDUpdate.exe for updating.

Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet via any firewalls/routers you have in place. Check to make sure that your, and your brother-in-law's, firewalls allow access to the internet through the firewalls for SDUpdate.exe.

You hit it dead center. Added SDUpdate.exe to my Firewall allow list and update to spybot went just like it should.

Thanks loads.. Raybro