Thread: Kaspersky 8 (2009)+Spybot?

Default Kaspersky 8 (2009)+Spybot?

When I went to install Kaspersky 8 (an upgrade) it said that spybot was incompatible with it and that it would uninstall spybot (forcibly) if I installed it. I'm none too happy about this, and was wondering what I can do to bring it to their attention that they are fools in a proper manner.

Hello,

There should not be any problems with the compatibilty.
    Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    Then install Kaspersky.
    After that make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

The only thing that can cause conflicts is more than one resident function,
    but that can be easily turned off in Spybot.
    That's the way to deactivate it: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I had done the reinstall thing myself, the resident shield actually doesn't interfere with Kaspersky too much (I happen to run Windows Defender with them both running also, so at times I'm getting three warnings for changes). They aren't incompatible, just Kaspersky labs SAYS they are and forcibly uninstalls it. I've not experienced any issues whatsoever with them both running (not even slowdowns etc). That's why I was wondering why they were saying it's incompatible. Maybe I should post a bug report to them about it. I keep my computers meticulously up to date, so already had 1.6 on there.

I have had exactly the same problem with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 package and will now reinstall.

One point as KIS 2009 is a very new product you will get a lot of people having this problem and this thread took ages to find. You need to promote this information to make it more visible especially as KIS now seems to be the IS package of choice.

Exclamation

i think spybot should put auto detect function for kasperksy so that it disable this functions automatically. thanks..

Modarator lease put this request for new version thank you.

I alos wrote on kaspersky te fix the problem with spybot this is ridiilious that they are asking us to remove spybot..

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...6&#entry768506
    Last edited by kkoray; 2008-09-28 at 08:55.

Kasperky is the aggressor in this case.....while Spybot always maintains it's neutrality towards other products. I once had a tussle with Kaspersky moderator regarding the poor Rouge AV detection, and believe it or not they Banned me for revealing that Kaspersky has poor Spyware and Adware detection rate....

Take a look here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=86138

A request to the developers:

Newton's Third Law of motion: "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

If Kaspersky Labs does not cooperate with you (action), hit them back where it hurts the most (reaction).

Else file a US Law suite against them stating their uncompetitive behavior (a big fish gobbling a small fish)...

Quote Originally Posted by Arenlor View Post
    When I went to install Kaspersky 8 (an upgrade) it said that spybot was incompatible with it and that it would uninstall spybot (forcibly) if I installed it. I'm none too happy about this, and was wondering what I can do to bring it to their attention that they are fools in a proper manner.
    Arenlor and others,

It is your choice whether you continue to use a product that employs this type of anticompetitive behaviour or whether you vote with your feet and dump it in favour or another product. Whilst people continue to use the product there is no incentive for them to change.

There is no way I would uninstall a product of my choice in order to accomodate them.

Just take a look here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=86138

What an incompetent behavior of Kaspersky!!!

Is Spybot labs preparaing to take a legal action against Kaspersky?Kaspersky labs is eventually adopting the marketing policy of Symantec labs......"bash the other products and prove that our product is the best"....

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arenlor View Post
    I had done the reinstall thing myself, the resident shield actually doesn't interfere with Kaspersky too much (I happen to run Windows Defender with them both running also, so at times I'm getting three warnings for changes). They aren't incompatible, just Kaspersky labs SAYS they are and forcibly uninstalls it. I've not experienced any issues whatsoever with them both running (not even slowdowns etc). That's why I was wondering why they were saying it's incompatible. Maybe I should post a bug report to them about it. I keep my computers meticulously up to date, so already had 1.6 on there.
    To everyone involved with this thread, the situation described by Arenlor above is a portion of the reason that Kaspersky indicates a conflict with Spybot Search & Destroy and requires its removal. This may not appear to any of you to be necessary, but that is their decision regarding how they prefer to support thier product. As Greyfox also states, how you choose to react is up to you personally.

Much has been discussed over the last couple years relating to other AntiVirus vendors indicating the same types of supposed 'conflicts' with many different security products, not just Spybot. To many this appears to simply be anti-competitive behaviour and in some cases it might actually be, but overall it's really much more complex than this.

The problem is that those security products attempting to provide 'all-in-one' protection suites have a difficult situation. They can either spend their time attempting to make their products play well with everyone else in the industry or intead concentrate on making their own product more effectively cover all the bases. Stated this way, I think you can easily see which choice makes the most sense from their point of view.

What this does is effectively places the resposibility for insuring compatibility upon those providing the more narrowly defined products, since they can more specifically 'target' their product's design to interoperate with others. As you all know, Spybot already does this and thus allows you to choose what portions of the product are enabled to avoid any specific 'conflicts' that may result.

Returning to Arenlor's comments above, this particular case revolves around both the potential for multiple alerts as mentioned and also the possible 'freezing' caused by interaction between the two products when TeaTimer is also running. Kaspersky has chosen to alert those installing their product by notifying the user to uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy during that process. Though maybe the specific wording could be changed to define the actual potential conflict more clearly, this decision is really entirely up to them and what their product support group decides will help their customers most.

In general, the larger population of non-technical users doesn't have the knowledge to understand what's happening when multiple products begin alerting about the same malware detection at the same moment, especially when it comes to deciding which product to 'allow' or 'deny'. This simply adds to their confusion and results in a net reduction of actual security, since confusion is really a component of the malware purveyor's toolkit and has no place in a product attempting to provide protection.

The problem for the Spybot Team is not really fighting each of these individual battles, since that would be grossly ineffective and simply result in wasted effort on their part. It's really more important for them to decide where they fit in the current evolution of security products towards the all-in-one suite model. If they don't wish to partner with an AntiVirus product to produce such a suite, then they must continue the modular approach as they have and operate more as a 'tool' targeted at detecting and removing a specific range of malware.

Note that I've made absolutely no mention of the relative quality or capability of any product here, since that's not necessary. That's what's creating all the heat both here and in the cooresponding thread in the Kaspersky forums. It's entirely unnecessary and simply muddies the waters, since the products really have completely different purposes. Arguing about the detection or removal rates of different products has always been a pointless thing, since this is affected by update, product breadth and overall detection 'garbage collection' (historical malware not really in circulation any longer) decisions far more than as a measure of quality.

You've already made most of the pertinent points in this thread, so the decisions of what to use are entirely up to you. What's more important is for the Spybot Team to make completely clear where they intend to take the product in the future and how that will relate to the changes in the direction of the other security products they are likely to interact with.

Bitman