Thread: Ending older version support

Default Ending older version support

I am saddened to see that support for older versions is ending.

Though I have been with S & D since ver: 1.3 and have had no problems (beyond a brief load time problem with the initial 1.5 that was quickly fixed), I have NO intention of upgrading to Version 1.6.

I tried 1.6 and do not like all the new automation it brings and that I cannot seem to turn off. I then had a very difficult time uninstalling 1.6.

So ... I'll stick with 1.52 until the day arrives when I can no longer update it and then - I'll be gone from the community.
    Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Hello,

Which problems do you have exactly with the new version?
    Which automations do you want to disable?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

No problems ... Ver 1.6 appears to operate just as you programmed it to.

But ... Tea Timer installs whether I want it to or not .. and I do not ...

and ... 1.6 checks any downloads for malware ... I don't even let my AV do that and operate as a filter.. I want to check my system at times of my choice, not through program automation, no matter how smart it may be.

I only mistakenly downloaded the 1.6 update once so it was only on my system until I could notice the changes to my system and uninstall it so these are only the most glaring to me ... it would have never come up if I hadn't noticed your sticky about support termination ... too bad.

I've been online since before many hee were born and have never had a virus nor had a system failure of any sort due to spy/malware ...

To me, simpler really is better.

Unless there is a compelling reason to stick with legacy (dated) versions of Spybot-Search&Destroy, you should upgrade to the latest version. There has been reports of false positives in older versions (1.3 & 1.4) that, upon removal has potentially disabled the ability to logon.

Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.0.30 can operate as simple as you want it to be. No automation. No automatic updates. No Resident Protection (if you mean TeaTimer). All stripped down to your anti-spyware scanner. You can scan whenever you wish to.

TeaTimer will prompt if you wish to install it (and you can disable it anytime) you want) during the installation wizard.

To disable TeaTimer:
    Run Spybot>Mode>Advanced Mode>Okay>Tools>Resident: Resident: Protection of overall System Settings.

Untick it and TeaTimer will deactivate itself.

I appreciate your response, but ...

Tea Timer installs even when I do not select it at program install (maybe I'll try your suggestion to disable it) and I've not found a way to disable the active spyware/malware download filter (which does not appear to be an item of choice at install).

I do not wish that level of automation and prefer to run spyware and virus scans at times and in places of my choosing.

Version 1.52 appears to work just fine now and it's new enough that I hardly consider it a "legacy" release.

But ... once more ... thank you.
    Last edited by PoGo123; 2008-09-07 at 18:53. Reason: premature accidental post hit

Lightbulb Also....

you can tweak spybot exactaly the way you want by going into mode-advanced mode-click yes, go to settings. Choose what you want and what you don't. Also in tools-resident you can change what runs automatically. I hope you reconsider instead of staying with an old version...