Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Checksums when I update

My server gets 20,000 people updating their spybot per hour... There are currently 22 mirrors, and most of them probably have a similar ratio.

Unless you are talking a mass cluster, it wouldn't be very logical to have one server do updates. Additionally, the servers are all over the world. The US or Europe are not the only ones having spyware issues. A server closer to you will give you a better download rate, at the ratios above, a unmetered gig ethernet connection would be required... that would be some serious hardware to handle that.

I donate my resources, 40 MBPS on a high quality, power backed up server, would cost several hundred dollars a month. The only thing I get in return, is knowing that I am supporting the best anti spyware program out there, that is given out free for private use.

Every time the mother in law calls, or the brother that knows too little about computers calls, I put spybot on, immunize, and run a scan, and problems get fixed.

Thanks spybot. I'll set an HTB TC script to boost bandwidth on wednesday mornings as not to bother people from having to download an update twice.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

davidonpda:

Thank you for your concern and support in the fight against malware.

I would like to stress one thing that you advised earlier concerning failed transmissions, particularly in the case of repetitive failures:

Quote Originally Posted by davidonpda View Post
    … Try a different server, try at a different time, or improve your internet connection. …
    Thanks again,
    md usa spybot fan

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

:-)

Once a month, I will get an email at my domain, asking why my server spit out a bad checksum... kind of the canned response I sent over. That will usually do it. I have sent people to these forums, and appreciate them getting help here.

What a wonderful community.